Saturday, March 19, 2016

It’s A Dirty Rotten Shame!

-
I have a first cousin that makes your average stink bug seem like charming company. He’s super-smart, maybe low genius, but he’s also an atheist and thoroughly arrogant in every way. In his youth, he married and divorced a woman of equal brains, but who had a likable personality. They had one son, who with his mother’s guidance, and that of both sets of grandparents, turned out to be a really likable guy. I’ve gotten reacquainted with him in the last year. He’s about 10 years younger than I.

He used to have a nice little homestead on the road next door, but in a moment of nostalgia, sold it several years ago to buy the home of his late maternal grandparents (in town). Last year, he bought another small property about two miles from me and began clearing the overgrown areas and making the house habitable. He’d put a lot of work (and no small amount of money) into the place. It would have made him a nice place, had he stuck with it.

Sadly, someone recently broke into the place and stole all his tools. They also broke into the pickup he’d left there and had tried to start it. He had the truck towed back to his house in town. He’s nearly out of money to spend on the place for now. He doesn’t yet have the money to buy new tools and he’s beat from all the long hours that he’s been putting in there. Plus, his retired mother has decided that she no longer wants to live in the home’s “granny suite.”

He’s decided to throw in the towel. I HATE that! I don’t think it’s what he wants down deep, but it all just overwhelmed him. All because some thieving sleaze ball probably needed another hit of drugs. It really is a dirty rotten shame. I wish I could get my hands on the guy(s?) that did it! © 2016
-

10 comments:

Gail said...

I'm so sorry this happened. Maybe they will catch the thief before the tools can be sold.

We have experienced several instances of theft.

John Wooldridge said...

Tis a sad reflection of human society when a man's dreams and hard worked for life is crushed by the disregard and greed of others Mr. Smythe. I too wish that I could lay my hands on such lowlife and 're-educate' them in a errr special way.

Ralph Goff said...

You said it right in the title Gorges. When a hard working guy gets taken by these low lifes looking for a quick buck it just makes you sick.

deborah harvey said...

let God get His hands on the evildoers.
your cousin just needs rest and maybe vitamin b complex.
i think he is just exhausted in more than one way.

kymber said...

Mr. Smythe, Sir, Gorges...you know that i always talk to you in a way that respects your dignity and your life experience. and you know how much i appreciate your advice on anything.

so i will not comment the way i would like to on this post out of pure respect for you. but you should know that there would be a bunch of swear words, that you and i would both un-enjoy if i were to do so.

but my respect for you is more important than my blathering on which would do neither of us any good.

sending much love and prayers as always! your friend,
kymber

Caddie said...

This is a very sad shame. I do hope the tool theft was reported to the police. Not that it will bring results but, at least, it's on record. Checking Craigslist might help to find some of the tools. Last week I discovered some creep/leech tried forcing my storage bldg door. It was also done a few years ago with me losing a lot of expensive items. I posted a note beside the door that said a gun was aimed at their head. This worked for a time till the note was damaged by weather (ha, I don't even own a gun but a threat often works.)
I despise a thief but a liar can be more dangerous.

Fredd said...

The thieving scumbags who stole from that hardworking kin of yours will never get caught, unfortunately.

But St. Peter has all of this on his clipboard. When these low lifes die and stand before the Pearly Gates in judgement, this little episode will certainly be brought to their attention by St. Peter, and it will not go well for them.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've been truly blessed, Gail. I've never suffered theft.......yet.

Thanks, John, I'm sure my cousin feels as we do.

I guess it all comes out in the wash, Ralph. At least that's what one of my farm hands used to say.

I think you're right, dh.

Thanks, kymber, you have a way with words! lol

Thanks, Caddie.

I know that you're right, Fredd.

Sixbears said...

I hate that sort of thing and no area is immune from those criminals. It's hard to build and easy to destroy.

Gorges Smythe said...

That's for sure, Sixbears!