Saturday, April 2, 2016

35 Years In The Making!

-


I've lived here for 35 years now. Each spring, one lonely, stunted daffodil sprouts in the northern edge pf the parking area by my driveway. The soil there is poor, gravelly and as hard as concrete. Each year, the poor little plant either gets run over and mashed or is so delayed in its grow, that it gets mowed off before it can bloom. This year, we aren't using my wife's car much and haven't had any company. That, combined with an early spring and no mowing yet, has allowed the beleaguered little plant to finally bloom.

I think that anything so determined to add its beauty to the world deserves a break. Once it's done blooming, I think I'll move it to a safe place where it can bloom untortured. © 2016
-

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Anything, even a lone daffodil, that keeps coming back against all odds, richly deserves a nice spot out of harms way. Good on you, Gorges. :)

Chickenmom said...

Cute little flower 'ya got there, Gorges. I'm always amazed when I find them.

JaneofVirginia said...

Gorges,
It is indeed a beautiful flower.

HermitJim said...

I think it's a good move to relocate the flower. I just hope it survives!

deborah harvey said...

if the soil is that hard don't strain yourself in saving the plant.

Gorges Smythe said...

I agree, Vicki.

One of my favorites, Cm.

God designs good stuff, Jane.

Me too, Jim.

I'vev got a pick, dh! lol

Ralph Goff said...

Some of those flowers are amazingly persistent. I have flowers that my mother planted here many years ago that still bloom every year. They don't get much help from me and yet that persist. Hollyhocks, tulips, lilies, and a few others I don't know the names of.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Awww, it needs a good place to grow.

Gorges Smythe said...

A lot of folks used to plant perennials for that very reason, Ralph.

It'll get it, Kathy.