Saturday, April 9, 2016

Busy Afternoons And Dreading Change

-
Yesterday, just after lunch, the guy made his payment on a mortgage that I hold on my old home place, so we spent the afternoon paying bills. Some months, utilities are such that I run out of money before I run out of bills. This winter, I’ve actually had a few bucks left over most months. Technically, it would be cheaper to mail in all my bills but, by running all over the place, I can pay them all locally. It makes my wife happy to see them all paid in one day and it gives us “something to do.” In other words, besides being a necessary evil, paying bills has become a form of entertainment for us.

After getting home, I got a call from a fellow to whom I’d sold a sawmill frame. He’d apparently changed phones lately, and I couldn’t reach him to let him know that I’d found some more parts that I’d promised him. So last week, I put an ad in the local buy-sell-trade paper for him to call me and told the reason why. Despite having never seen the ad, he just happened to call me anyway. I told him what was up, and he came out later and got the parts. I also gave him three sawmill magazines and one book on the subject. While he was here, he also bought a couple more things from me that I hadn’t counted on.

This afternoon, we took the money and went to town. We bought a cheap lunch and then went to Wally World to stock up on some much-needed groceries. With our aging memories, it took quite a while to gather all the loot, even though we tried to combine our “knowledge” on the matter. After going home and putting the stuff away, we scooped up the Mighty Dachshund and went BACK to town, so my wife could walk a round in the mall. While she did that, I hand fed a cheeseburger to the pooch and made a couple phone calls. I’d already looked in the Chinese Emporium and learned that they didn’t carry alum. So, I called a local hardware store that sold canning supplies, but to no avail. Then I called the Kroger store and learned that they had it in stock. I stopped there on our way home and got a small can.

As we were driving around yesterday, my wife mentioned selling some more stuff, plus, selling our home in a couple years and moving to town. I know it’s the best thing for her, but I would hate it. After we got home the second time, I sat in the porch swing a few minutes, despite the cold, and thought about it all. I hate to part with the last three quilts I have that were made by my beloved great aunt, besides, such things aren’t bringing the money they were 20 years ago. I also hate to part with the little wooden rocking chair that was a wedding present to my parents from my great grandfather in 1948. It was supposed to be over 100 years old at the time. Money can’t make up for those kind of memories, still, we could use the cash and we really DO need to declutter.


As a Christian, I should probably be ashamed to say that I believe I began to die, both physically and emotionally, when I left the woods to go to the factory 22 years ago. Still, at least I was living on the land. Now, that may be only a temporary thing. As I sat in the swing, enjoying the cold country scene, I wondered if I wasn’t actually beginning the long last good-bye to my preferred lifestyle and the mourning process that it would entail. I guess at this point in life, it doesn’t matter much. In a few more years, I’ll be with the people I love and in a far better place. That’s certainly nothing to sneeze at! In the meanwhile, I’ll take my pleasures where I can find them. For one thing, my online friends have become almost like family over the years, so I’ll keep blogging and reading the blogs of others for as long as I can. © 2016
-

9 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You are a few years ahead of me on these issues. Maybe you could just stay where you are with the plan of your wife moving after you pass some day? I would hate to think of you in town.

Lady Locust said...

If you need more entertainment, I have some bills you could pay ~ heehee:) Your quilts, if you don't already know, you're welcome to email me a few pix & I would be glad to tell you the patterns (if I know them) and whatever tid-bits I know about the design. Sometimes that helps them reach collectors and bring a little more $. And lastly, you're not dead yet ~ God obviously has a plan for you this day so do what you can today to fill your soul and know that by doing so, you are not only pleasing God, but those who know you. Tomorrow will either come or it won't - you seem okay with either. This life here on earth is a quirky thing; might as well get it while the gettin's good.
Keep well my friend.

Pumice said...

I am getting there. As I look back and feel frustrated at what I have not accomplished one of the verses that we know well keeps bumping me in the ego.

(Micah 6:8 KJV) He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I find it helps my focus. It reminds me that God is quite capable of running the universe if I am having a bad day.

Still praying for your health journey.

Grace and peace.

deborah harvey said...

gorges,
i also feel that you are my little brother or cousin.
think about getting a senior citizen high rise in town, but keeping your property.
it is doable. the high rises are based on income. your dog would also be unhappy, at least a bit.
don't sell your treasures.
the pleasure you get from the sight of the little chair and the feel of the quilts lifts the spirits.
you and dog can live in each place parttime.
there are common rooms and field trips at the senior housing and your wife will have friends and enjoy the social aspect.
you will enjoy porch sitting and listening to birds.
it will all work out.
don't lose heart [literally] and become melancholic thinking about being stuck in town.
look forward to finding a simple solution which pleases both people and one dog.
it can all be worked out.

deb harvey.

didn't get to bank.
snowed all night! won't be going out today.
mother in nursing home for respite care for 6 weeks.
if she likes it she may end up stayting there.
she loves daycare and is not happy here . she is very active but we are not.
especially in winter when going outside is rare. the nursing home is built so that she can alk in a circle and therre are windows and the walls are decorated. she can walkall she wants without going in the ice and snow.

it is freezing out right now!

Ralph Goff said...

You have my sympathy Gorges. I don't think I do well with change either. Of course I don't do it very often so maybe its not as difficult as I imagine it to be.

Gorges Smythe said...

I lived there for four long ago, and it had its good points, SF, but it's still not my preference.

LL, I'm pretty good at rolling with the punches, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good pity party once in a while!

Thanks, Pumice, nobody goes wrong with prayer.

We'll get it all figured out eventually, dh. I managed to entertain myself, even when I lived in town. Hope the situation with your mom works out.

May we all live 'til we die, Ralph! It's half-dying that seems to cause so much trouble!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I would not sell your most loved treasures unless you really, really couldn't live without the cash they would bring in. I hope you can stay where you are for a bit, the stress of moving somewhere you really don't want to go can be hard on your health, especially if you are used to privacy and suddenly there are all sorts of people and traffic and noises.

Gorges Smythe said...

At this point, Kathy, my main concern about selling quilts is that we might need them during a power outage.

Joy said...

Don't sell your treasures, the money wouldn't be worth the loss. I think Sunnybrook Farm gave good advice. If you love where you live, and if your wife loves you, she'll want you to be happy. No matter if I wanted to live somewhere else, I would never force my spouse to move somewhere they didn't want to be. It needs to be mutual or it won't work. Just some advice from someone younger.