Sunday, April 3, 2016

Last Pickin’ Fer THAT Patch!

-
My first picking of primarily dandelion greens at Wally World was on March 16. They were a bit small, but tender. The second picking was on March 28. I gave them to my mother, but she thought they were great. On the first of April, I picked a third time. I tried picking the right side of the patch, where I hadn’t picked before, but I discovered that the ground there was poor and the dandelions were all bloom and no plant. However, the dock was larger than last time and helped make up for the shortage of dandelions. I did find one large clump of the yellow bloomers and pulled the greens off in bulk, nearly like a cow would grab them and tear them off near ground level. Since Mom had told me that she used to eat the blooms with the greens, I took everything from that clump. That included several wide-open blooms with their stocks and several flower buds. Between the dandelions and the dock, I had a decent mess gathered, so I stopped. Later, as I sat in my truck, a big clump of clover kept waving at me in the breeze, so I hobbled back to the top of the bank and picked most of the clump.


Getting home, I put them in the fridge. My wife kept shoving food at me that evening, though, because she was hungry (she won’t eat unless I do). As a result, I didn’t feel up to eating greens. Late the next evening, I finally cooked them. I was tempted to add a couple packs of pink sweetener to help allay any bitterness, but decided I’d learn more if I didn’t. In general, the dandelions were a bit tougher and more bitter than last time, though neither was enough to complain about. The blossoms WERE tougher than I cared for, though the stems were fine. The dock was good, too. The clover leaves were fine, but the stems were a little wiry. I ended up throwing the clover stems out. All in all, I’d have to say that this picking wasn’t really worth the effort. That means that the life of this patch is somewhat less than two weeks. Next year, I’ll know that. © 2016
-

3 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Lots of them are starting to pop up now, Gorges. I don't like the taste of them, but the gang can't get enough!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I tried making dandelion syrup one year but accidentally spilled it. Now I leave them for the bees.

Gorges Smythe said...

There's always wine, Cm! lol

The bees probably need them, Kathy.