Friday, April 29, 2016

Sittin' 'n' Fussin'

-
I was sitting on the porch alone this evening. The pooch has an ear infection, so the missus has decided that the poor little thing shouldn't see the light of day for a long while. I was enjoying watching what appears to be a resident pair of towhees come and go. An Indian Hen (Pileated Woodpecker) was carrying on down in the woods, but all I saw was movement, no actual bird. Bluejays were flitting from tree to tree, and a couple robins passed through my little area of observation. The view of 300 feet into the woods has become only 30 feet to the edge of the woods, as everything has leafed out.

I was sitting there soaking it all in when the missus came to the door and began to rekindle a disagreement that we'd had earlier in the day. I'm the sort that means what I say and says what I mean. If I have a particular view on something, it's usually based on cold, hard facts or personal experience. If my wife would listen to the words I say, and take them at face value, there usually wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she's one of those folks who never hears what I actually say but hears, instead, what she THINKS I'm GOING to say. Even after 33 years, I have a hard time not responding to such foolishness, but I HAVE made some progress lately. Regardless, she sure ruined a good dose of porch sitting. Copyrighted 2016
-

2 comments:

Pumice said...

I hear you. O, how I hear you. Probably the hardest verse in the Bible for me to follow is,

(1 Corinthians 13:5 NAS77) does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,

Like you, I find this a constant challenge. It wouldn't be if I could sit on my "porch" and be uninterrupted but I guess that porch hasn't been built yet.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

'Fraid not, Pumice!