Sunday, May 1, 2016

A Little More Info

-
Let me start by saying that despite having as many sins as the next person, my wife has a DEEP FAITH in the Lord.

Now for the story – A couple Christmas seasons ago, I mentioned someone trying to force their way in the front door of the house while I was at the company Christmas party and my wife was home alone. I learned a little more of the story tonight. I don’t know if she thought I wouldn’t believe it, or was afraid I’d give her the devil (which I probably would have), but I just got these details this evening.

I’d just spoken to her a couple minutes earlier on the phone and told her where I was on my way home, when the front door started rattling. She was surprised I’d covered the distance in such a short time but, assuming it was me, unlocked the door. Strangely, it wouldn’t open. She was pulling and the door was being rattled and shoved from the outside, but it wouldn’t budge. She called out my name and told me to stop rattling the door for a minute. When I didn’t answer, she called my name again. When I STILL didn’t answer, she quickly relocked the door. As soon as the person outside heard the click, the rattling and shoving began anew. She finally told whoever it was that they’d BETTER leave. He must have heard the anger in her voice and rightly surmised that she had a gun (though it wasn’t in her hand). He finally left.


I passed a white car on the way up our road, and was soon there. She hollered to ask if it was me almost as soon as I was on the porch, and I responded. I had no trouble unlocking the door. I STILL wish I’d gotten there a couple minutes earlier. Then again, just as the Lord obviously protected my wife, maybe he was protecting someone else by letting the young man in the white car get away. Maybe it was me, maybe my wife, but quite possibly, it was the young man in the white car. If only he could have known! © 2016
-

7 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

That must have been a scary incident for her Gorges. I hope it does not happen again.

Gorges Smythe said...

It was,Ralph. However, since I'm no longer working, that situation shouldn't reoccur. If it does, I carry a 12 gauge, not a little .22 pistol like she does!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That would be scary!

Chickenmom said...

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Glad the outcome was good!

Lady Locust said...

Just something to keep in mind~when my aunt was alone, my cousin made her keep a pump action rifle. She wouldn't load it or use it, but he said if someone broke in, to 'pretend' like she was loading the gun nice and loud and ask who was there. Upon hearing the sound of the gun, most would leave. Thought that was pretty clever.
Glad you are both safe.

Pumice said...

One of the great story times in eternity will be hearing some of the hair raisers that the Lord protected us from.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

It took her a while to get over it, Kathy.

Me too, Cm!

I'm a firm believer in live ammunition, LL!

I'm sure you're right, Pumice.