Monday, May 16, 2016

Frailty, Thy Name Is Old Age (apologies to Shakespeare)

-
Remember the name of my blog? “Grouse” isn’t only a noun meaning a bird. It’s also a verb, meaning to gripe or complain. Knowing my own negativism, I used the verb meaning as a noun (improper, I’m sure) to sort of mean “Gorge’s Complaint.” The bird sitting on my lap is strictly a visual pun; I don’t really have a pet grouse. I have Photoshop and the guru to thank for that picture. That said, on to my curmudgeonly grump.

Today, I started the lawn mower for the first time since it came back from the shop. I was hoping to mow a little bit around the house. That would make it easier for the dog to do her duty, and make it a little less snaky. Unfortunately, only the left-hand blade would cut; both  of the blades were working fine when it left for the shop. Strange!

I mowed the doggy bathroom part of the yard, even though I had to cover the ground twice. I remember thinking that the blade bearings didn’t sound too good. Just after I finished that section, and was going to the front of the house to mow a little in along the porch, there was a big “clunk” and the left blade quit turning, also. I can’t get down and check things out like I did when I was younger. It’s aggravating.

I called the shop and they said that they could probably pick it up this evening. I asked about a loaner, but the guy said that he didn’t have any used mowers left in stock. So, despite noticing that the rest of my lawn is dry enough to mow, also, it remains shaggy. Between rain coming all too frequently and the mower being gone for a couple weeks, the front lawn is beginning to look like an African savanna. I’m beginning to get a little nervous about lions. The neighbor across the road mows his lawn nearly every day. I suspect he’s hoping that I’ll take the hint. I’d mow our yard if I could, but I really couldn’t care less if it bothers the neighbor when I don’t. He’s only “distantly friendly” anyway and besides, I’m a curmudgeon; remember?

As I sat there in the porch swing stewing, I remembered the leak in the roof above my office that I can’t get to. And then there’s the slight leak around the chimney, which needs torn down anyway, except I can’t currently climb a ladder to get on the roof. (I seem to have lost most of the strength in my hips for some reason, and it looks like it’s not coming back.) Of course, that means the gutters still need cleaned, too. I AM making a little progress on the downed trees in the backyard, but it’s slow.

My truck needs a state inspection sticker by the end of the month, but I have to wait until my money comes. I need an oil change, too. I remember my days of employment when I could either do such simple things myself, or more easily hire them done. Oh well, at least I’m above the sod.


To close on a more positive note, the irises are looking especially nice this year; maybe it’s all that “night-water” they’ve been getting since I moved back upstairs to sleep. My wife would raise a fuss if she knew where it was going, but “what she don’t know don’t hurt her” as they say.  ;-) © 2016
-

8 comments:

deborah harvey said...

don't know about your hips but check internet for med side effects. sometimes surprising.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, weakness is on at least one of mine, and so is growing man-boobs!

Gail said...

Hang in there.

Blessings.

Lady Locust said...

Night-water? Shame on you, but Bahahaha:)

Gorges Smythe said...

Will do, Gail!

LL, here's some info I found online: "Our urine contains significant levels of nitrogen, as well as phosphorous and potassium (typically an N-P-K ratio around 11 – 1 – 2.5."

Ralph Goff said...

You are reminding me of something my grandfather used to say. "Don't get old". Although he was already quite old when he used to say that. The frustrations of not being able to do what he used to would cause him to say it.

Chickenmom said...

You mean to tell that ISN'T you on your avatar????? Dang! Always loved 'your' hat! :o)

Gorges Smythe said...

He was right, Ralph, but maybe it beats the alternative.

Well, Cm, I guess I spoke carelessly, for the grouse is the only thing that was Photoshopped.