Friday, May 20, 2016

Losing Weight A Mixed Bag

-
I was hoping to lose 50 pounds by this point (seven months), but it’s a real struggle, mostly with water consumption. I AM down 45 pounds, anyway. Starting at nearly 430, that’s about a 10% loss of body weight. I know my heart is safer with that amount of weight off, but I occasionally have a few seconds of dizziness from some of my meds (nothing dangerous). I DO watch what I eat a little closer than I used to, but I’m really not “dieting” per se. I have noticed that my backside fits in the chairs at the doctor’s office (or anywhere else) a little easier. Plus, I don’t have such a tendency to “take the chair with me” when I stand up. That’s a decided advantage.

Unfortunately, my remaining weight still puts a lot of pressure on the sitting parts of my anatomy. That, in turn puts a lot of pressure on my aged hip-bones (as in “dem bones, dem bones, dem achy bones”). The missing padding is truly missed in that respect.

Water loss has turned out to be a funny thing to me. I expected it to be only at the lower part of my body, due to gravity. Strangely enough, I now have a crater in my belly around my belly button. The rest of my belly remains, for the most part. It HAS resulted in tightening my belt by about five inches, which is good, However, I don’t DARE take the dog outside without a belt in my jeans, or I may find my britches suddenly around my ankles. Still, the last pair of jeans I bought seemed made for Humpty Dumpty, as in all belly and no butt or thighs. As a result, my next pair will still have to be a huge size, in order for me not to blow the seams if I bend over. Fat folks get NO selection!

One other negative—I now have to sit down on the commode more carefully, because all that belly is still there, but without all the water to keep it plumped-up, it sags down so much that it tries falling into the hole before other things do. I can see how that could really make for a dandy mess if a person got careless.


If you aren’t overweight already, don’t let yourself get that way. Being old and fat ain’t no fun. Heck, even being old and getting thinner ain’t no better; it’s just different, and a little dangerous! © 2016
-

12 comments:

Lady Locust said...

45 lbs! Good job. That is an amazing feat. You're going in the right direction, and those physical "discombuberations" will lessen as you progress no doubt:)
Keep well my friend~

kymber said...

i am with Lady Locust - congratulations - losing 45lbs is no easy feat!!! but...on to some mothering...i wish you would pay more attention to your diet! i wish you would stop consuming any and every processed food! i know that is a hard thing to do but store-bought bread, processed food, microwave food, and of course, anything from a restaurant chain or fast-food place are all soooo bad for you. you can't do it all at once but if you can try to eliminate some of that crap and eat healthy meat, vegetables, fruit and fish - it would really help. ok...mothering ending here.

i still say kudos for losing the 45lbs! sending much love! your friend,
kymber

Harry Flashman said...

I've lost a huge amount of weight since I got hurt. That's a radical way to lose weight, I suppose, but I had tried all sorts of things and nothing seemed to work. Got smashed up and damned if the weight didn't just melt off me. Of course, I probably consume less than 1/3 the calories a day I used to do.

Pumice said...

Sounds good so far. It figures out to a little under two pounds a week. That is a healthy rate of loss. The feeling better will come as slow as the weight loss but it will come. My prayers will begin to move toward finding a way of eating that will enable you to keep it off instead of starting up again. I only had to lose about 150 but I have done pretty well a keeping if off for the last few years.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, LL.

Thanks Mom, er...kymber. Actually, I eat healthier than you might imagine these days, I CAN"T AFFORD THE COST OF THE JUNK AND CONVENIENCE FOODS! - lol

That's a part of my problem, Harry, my wife still cooks for me as if I were still logging. Since she grew up cooking for a large family, she really has trouble scaling back. If I could just get over this "clean your plate" habit, I guess I could still conquer it quicker.

"ONLY"m 150 pounds, Pumice? You've done well my friend.

Gail said...

Good job! Hubby's heart doctor said the magic number to lose was twenty pounds...didn't matter the size, twenty less is when it makes a big difference on your heart.

Gorges Smythe said...

I thought that I could tell some difference at 10, Gail, but I definitely notice a difference now.

M. Silvius said...

Good Job. Its not easy but keep at it and you will be rewarded. In addition to what Kymber said portion control is important. One trick is to buy smaller plates. The smaller portions won't look so small.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Michael.

Sixbears said...

You are on your way. Good luck. There is certainly no selection when it comes to fat guy jeans. I've got one decent pair that fits reasonably well. There is no place near me that carries my size . . . so I guess I'd better finally get serious and change my size.

sharpenedaxe.com said...

Good job. I lost 45 lbs in 2013. I haven't been warm since.

Gorges Smythe said...

I have a mail order catalog a fellow fat guy gave me if you're interested, Sixbears.

I've noticed the same effect, Mike.