Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Pickin’ Poke Sallet

-
I used my foraging journal yesterday. In driving the missus to town for her daily constitutional a couple days ago, I happened to see a pokeweed sticking up in the brush along the road. Remembering a location where I knew there should be some available, I checked my journal yesterday.  It showed me to be correct, but it also showed another location that I’d forgotten. As it turned out, I was able to pick the first location, but they’d recently mowed and done some grading at the second location. Maybe they’ll grow back, if not this year, then maybe next.


I was able to pick enough to share with my mom, but neither of us have cooked them yet. I KNOW they’ll be good though! © 2016
-

4 comments:

Gail said...

We have had several messes of Poke and other greens. Love it!

Gorges Smythe said...

My wife fixed beef/vegetable soup for lunch and supper, so I won't get to eat my greens yet tonight. Too much fiber has an obvious effect on me.

Gail said...

...and that's one purpose of the spring greens after a long hard winter. Not only are they delicious they sometimes cure what ails you.

Have a very blessed evening.

Gorges Smythe said...

You're right, Gail, but I'm marking down everywhere I see the pretty yellow blooms of wild mustard, so I can have some greens in the winter and "stay regular!" lol