Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Days Go On

-
My funds didn’t come yesterday as they were promised; nor did they come today. So, I sold my class ring today and got enough to take the missus out to lunch and then stock up on groceries afterwards. Such items don’t seem to hold much meaning for me anymore. I told the lady at the jewelers that I have five grandkids and every one of the little stinkers go to the high school across town. Since I rarely see them anyway, I couldn’t see any reason to save the ring for any of them. I came across the sterling silver set my uncle gave my folks for me when I was a baby, too. Plus, there’s an engraved sterling fork and spoon with my name on them that must have come from another relative. Those sorts of things are harder to sell than jewelry, but I have a lead.

Yesterday evening, I picked up flowers and a flag from Mom to put on Dad’s grave. Neither she nor my sister is able to traverse the uneven ground of the little country cemetery where he’s buried. I may be slow, but I can still do the job. I went there today and took off what was on the grave and put the new flag and flowers on it. Dad was one of the lucky ones; he came home. I came across his dog tags yesterday, and I don’t really know what to do with them. I was thinking of laying them atop his gravestone, but I suppose some pervert would steal them.

The last couple days, I’ve been gathering up my CB’s, walkie-talkies and transistor radios (including a hand-crank one) to wrap and put in an EMP-proof box. Always expecting the worst, I am. I’m rarely disappointed! LOL!


I hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day and remembers with thankfulness those who have served our country, and especially those who paid the ultimate price. May God bless them, and YOU. © 2016
-

2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

It's all a matter of priorities. I would have done the same thing. Hope your money shows up. I had a credit card get used by someone other than myself. USAA said they would send me another one in less than three days. It never showed. People in business just don't do what they say they will these days. I expect it will show up next week and when it does I am going to give them a call and tell them I'd rather have an accurate estimate than a lie. Not that they will care......

Gorges Smythe said...

As I see it, Harry, the problem is that almost no-one cares about anyone but themselves these days. Have a nice weekend.