Friday, May 13, 2016

The Power Of Persistence

-
Persistence is all I have these days, or maybe it’s just stubbornness. I don’t have the energy to work at anything headlong like I could at one time. Five or ten minutes is about all I can handle, and even that is distributed between numerous stops to rest my muscles or catch my breath. I’m no good on slopes, either. My balance isn’t so bad standing, but I have trouble moving on any ground that isn’t flat these days, I don’t know how to explain it. Of course, it would help if my weight loss hadn’t made my shoes at least a size too large. I’ll be glad to get some new ones soon, when I begin having a little cash to spare again.

Of course, the treetops that I’m working up in my back yard are on a slope and are being drug about 50-75 feet to a brush pile on an even steeper slope. Still, my five or ten minutes a day is already making a difference in less than a week. Someone else might not see it, since so many folks only see done and not done. Being the one doing it, though, every day, I notice there are fewer limbs that need moved and the brush pile is a little bigger. I’ve been using a little bow-saw to cut limbs to length. It’s lighter to carry than a chainsaw, isn’t hard to start, and is SO much quieter! Besides, it gives me a little additional exercise. Unfortunately, I’ll soon be at the point where I run out of limbs small enough to cut with my little saw. Then, the Stihl 660 comes out.

I wasn’t always so persistent. In my youth, I’d sometimes fly into a project like I was killing snakes and then throw up my hands when things seemed to be taking too long. Then it was off to the next project. I think a lot of kids are a bit like that. Some never grow out of it.


I may be old, but I’m not stupid. A few things actually sunk into my thick skull over the years. One of them is if you don’t have the tools or the skill you need, use what you DO have. It sure beats sitting around complaining about things. Another thing I’ve learned is that ol’ Aesop was right; sometimes the tortoise DOES win the race. © 2016
-

8 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Sounds good on both sides, your limbs are getting cleaned up and you are getting out and moving. Keep at 'er:)

Pumice said...

My prayer is that the persistence will pay off in stronger limbs for you and more wind. Like the trees, most people won't notice but you will.

Grace and peace.

jambaloney said...

Gorges:

i understand exactly where you are coming from... i have found a marked difference in my stamina these days and have done the same as you - substitute it with persistence.. but i think you should be kinder to yourself and use the word "determination"..

because if you are determined to succeed you fill find a way .. and sometimes you CAN go faster if you go slower.. experience helps.. i can't work as hard nor as long as i used to so i try and work better... you are farther down this road than i and i applaud you...

keep your chin up and your spirits high friend!

Caddie said...

Full understanding of all you say, Gorges. Ah shucks, we're pitiful...I hate losing abilities once thought of as nothing to be concerned about. Bragging now - at one time I could outwork several people, literally. How sweet it was.

It's good to hear you are making a full all out effort. I'm proud of you.

Gail said...

What a wonderful story.

I have been painting the outside of the house with the same persistence. I can see the progress easier since the color is different but still frustrated with the time it's taking. I think that is the hardest thing to deal with...knowing HOW to work and having limitations.

A good job does have its own reward!

Gorges Smythe said...

I will, LL.

Thanks, Pumice.

Thanks, jambaloney, I appreciate that.

Thanks, Caddie, it beats staring at the wall, too!

Chickenmom said...

Taking baby steps will get you there - may take a wee bit more time, but you'll get there!

Gorges Smythe said...

I plan on it, Cm. Thanks.