Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Too Cute, Too Useful And WAY Too CHEAP To Pass Up!

-
Click to enlarge image.

I was at the antique dealer's to sell some knick-knacks that had been laying around various family drawers, boxes and shelves for 50+ years when I saw it hanging on a rack behind me. It was love at first sight. I KNEW that I had to have it, especially when I saw that the price was only FOUR DOLLARS! I felt guilty even thinking about spending money for anything that we didn't absolutely need in the next week, so I turned back to the task at hand, and worked out a fair deal for the stuff I'd brought. I was actually pleased with what I was paid for a change. It was about double what I feared that I'd get. The silver baby dining set helped a lot. The dealer never cheats me, but he has to make a profit, too, so I never give him a hard time. I think he treats me as well as he can, considering the local market.

Turning back around,as the dealer helped a customer, I weighed the pro's and con's. My wife would fuss if she saw I'd bought something when I was supposed to be selling, but I'm sneaky enough to keep it from her sight. I have two manual hand-drills, but they're geared for speed, not power. They're good for wood, but less so for metal. The little brace before me had no gearing; its power was limited only by the strength of my arm and the grip of the chuck on the drill bit. With patience, it should drill metal quite nicely, and still be good for wood. The chuck seemed froze-up, but a little WD-40 should cure that - a little heat from my torch could be used if it needed more convincing. Both handles turned easily.

I looked again at the $4 price tag. I remembered that even though I'm sorting through and selling, or giving away, a few of my old tools, I'm also trying to hang onto anything that could prove useful if the grid goes down. This tool fit that bill, but it wasn't mine. Then it hit me what an idiot I was for even questioning my own good taste and excellent judgment!

I laid the little brace on the counter and the shop owner's eyes widened while his lips formed a grin. "What!" he said, "You mean I'm going to get some of my money back?" I assured him that he was. I was so pleased with the deal that I even gave him my blank penny that I'd had since I was a kid! (Heck, it was only worth 2-3 dollars anyway.)

So, my wife and I both came home happy people today, she - because I gave her more grocery money than she expected, and me - because I'd snuck the little brace into the back of the cab without her noticing. © 2016
-

7 comments:

Sixbears said...

I would not have left that behind either -and I've already got one.

Harry Flashman said...

Don't feel too guilty about spending four dollars. You got something you wanted and that's a very reasonable price.

Gorges Smythe said...

Spares are good, Sixbears.

Actually, Harry, I don't feel guilty at all; guess my conscience must be "singed." as the preachers call it. ;-)

Pumice said...

Since I assume your wife does not read your blog, your secret is safe with us.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Pumice, my writing bores my wife almost to rigor mortis. lol

Chickenmom said...

Love it - and all small tools!

Gorges Smythe said...

It may come in handy someday, Cm! lol