Tuesday, May 10, 2016

"Uncommitted" Delegates

-
My county only sends 22 delegates to the Republican National Convention. Amazingly, there were over 300 candidates for those 22 positions. I believe that shows how deeply emotional this election is for many of us. Personally, I simply voted for the first 22 candidates in the alphabetical listing that had admitted that they supported Trump. The time for such statements must have been long ago, for every former presidential candidate was represented, though all but Trump had dropped out.

The shocker for me was the number of uncommitted candidates. I've never had much use for people who can't make a decision. Sometimes ANY decision is better than none. Plus, everyone has the right to change their mind. I just don't see how anyone paying attention to the news, whatever the source, cannot have formed an opinion about which candidate is the most responsible in their eyes. Frankly, I have more respect for the supporters of Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton (though they should be shot for treason) than I do for uncommitted delegates. Since they don't have the ability to form an opinion, they really have no business running for a position where such a monumental decision is required. Besides, after the first vote, if no decision is reached, they ALL can choose to change their vote.

The scariest thing to me is that voters in the general election are the same way. Think about it, the very survival of our nation is not decided by dedicated liberals or conservatives who work and slave to forward their ideals, however right or wrong. The fate of our nation ultimately is decided by the wishy-washy, indecisive, often ill-informed people who have no idea just who in the heck they will cast their vote for until they reach the voting booth.

Still, I have more respect for those voters than I do for uncommitted delegates, because I feel that vast numbers of those delegates are simply advertising that they’re for sale to the highest bidder. Yes, I’m a cantankerous, opinionated old curmudgeon, but that’s the view from my ridge! © 2016
-

4 comments:

Chickenmom said...

You are so right, Gorges. But people are finally starting to wake up. Yesterday, for the first time since we moved here, a candidate for a local election rang my doorbell and asked my opinion on the current politics of the town and what I would like to see changed. Things are different this year.

Pumice said...

I think I like the system you are using. Is this a caucus? It makes it much more personal than the primary that we have. One problem with popular votes that are easy to make is that you get a lot of people who vote without thinking. You were forced to take some serious time to go and listen to people's positions. I imagine it is harder to manipulate the vote too.

Grace and peace.

M. Silvius said...

Its all a farce. I don't know how they do it down where you live but it is clearly different than here in Maine. Remember we are not a democracy, we are a representative republic..... in 99% of primary elections the delegates are already committed to the party and will vote the way the party organization tells them. If they don't they loose their power and dont get a seat at the table. In Pennsylvania out of 70 delegates only 15 are legally bound according to popular vote, the rest votes according to what the state organization for the party tells them. Thus the Colorado results. This works that way in both parties. In VT Sanders won the popular vote but the Hildabeast got the majority of the delegates. The scene is repeated over and over.

Gorges Smythe said...

Boy-oh-boy, Cm; door-to-door campaigning is a real blast from the past!

Sadly, Pumice, I believe that half of America votes without thinking.

Michael, I'm afraid our forefathers expected the majority of Americans to remain moral men and women. That hasn't happened. Had they been able to look into the future, they may have just stayed loyal to the crown.