Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Found Them! (w/pic)

-
Click to enlarge image.

When I moved here 35 years ago, I brought a few iris from my home-place . I'm glad I did, because the heathen that bought the place ten years ago mowed off anything that bloomed, including the peonies, the iris and the ancient lilac bush in the back yard. Heathen I tell ya!

I've been trying to find out how long they were there, but no-one seemed to know. Finally, Mom remembered that Dad had moved some kind of flower from an old home-site back on the farm many years ago, before the Japanese Honeysuckle smothered them out. I remember them mixed with some antique roses (now gone) in the side yard. Looking at pictures of the place from the 40's, though, I noticed the iris were missing. Therefore, I've decided that Dad probably moved them there sometime in the 50's, since I always remember them.

My great grandmother had lived in the little house back there before lightning burned it down while she was in town one day in the 30's. So, I still don't know if she planted them, or if the owners before had planted them.

I then got wondering if they had a name, So I googled the phrase "heirloom two-tone bearded iris," and low and behold, the second photo was them! These words were to one side of their photo:"Tall Bearded Iris 'Perfection' - An Heirloom from 1880 - Hybridized by Barr." So now I know what there is to know. © 2016
-

8 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's great that you got to move some of your family's flowers. I tried to relocate a cutting from a 100 yr old lilac when my grandmother's house sold but it didn't make it and now the bushes are gone. I did take some iris from our old place and moved them here, they are multiplying like crazy.

deborah harvey said...

good detective work

Gorges Smythe said...

That's one thing about iris, Kathy, they seem to be pretty hardy.

Thanks, dh.

HermitJim said...

I think it's great that you found them. Really pretty flowers, too!

Gail said...

These are beautiful. We have the same color too.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Jim.

It may have been common then, Gail.

Chickenmom said...

Oh, Gorges - they are beautiful! So glad you found them!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Cm.