Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Friendly Feller

-
I don't feel the need to drive as fast as I used to drive. At one time, I could tell you you how fast you could take every bend on my country road in a Plymouth Fury III without rolling it. These days, I rarely make it up to the speed limit. The drive is more pleasant and a vehicle lasts longer if you show a little moderation in your driving. Besides, I gave up my collision insurance, so I'd BETTER be careful.

Unfortunately, most people drive like maniacs and don't like getting behind someone who isn't already doing 15 miles over the speed limit. So it is with a dark grey pickup that sometimes comes up behind me on our country road. Sometimes, I pull over and let him around. Other times, he flies around me like a bat out of....Ohio. Sometimes, when the traffic is heavy, he's just stuck. I will sometimes speed up a little bit for his sake, but never over the speed limit.

He's apparently figured out where I live, for he went by as I was mowing my yard today and gave me the one-finger salute. I don't know who he is, or exactly where he lives, but I went on Facebook and told folks that if they knew anyone who drove my road in a dark grey pickup, to ask him if he'd flown the bird at a guy mowing his lawn today. Then, I told them that if he said "yes," to tell him that I said he was low-class trash, since those are the only folks who communicate that way. If he gets the message, he'll probably be even quicker on the draw next time! lol Copyright 2016
-

10 comments:

deborah harvey said...

hope the rude guy doesn't take physical revenge. he's obviously full of venom. watch your back and your property.

Chickenmom said...

You need a bumper sticker that says "If you can read this, you are too close - Smile for the camera that is taking your picture".

Lady Locust said...

Amazing how "tough" people are in a steel trap doing 55. If he were walking along the road, I wonder if he would do the same thing...

Ralph Goff said...

Has it always been this way? People in a terrible hurry to get somewhere and mad at anybody that gets in their way? Funny how people complain about the high price of gas yet hardly anybody takes the most obvious step of slowing down for better fuel economy.

Gail said...

Thanks for visiting. Fresh water is a blessing.

All I can say about that guy is he must not have much to keep him busy. he was just saying in his own way, You're Number One in my book!

Euripides said...

Bad driving and finger flying are endemic to the Brave New World of progressive dogmas. Liberalism is a disease that infects even the few sane people left in the world.

Gorges Smythe said...

Will do, dh!

Well, Cm, it's something to think about. lol

Most folks aren't even in a hurry, LL; they just like to drive fast.

It seems to me that it's gotten much worse in the last 10-15 years, Ralph. I wonder if it's partly frustration at a poor economy, maybe combined with the modern expectation of instant gratification (I want to be there NOW).

Sounds good, Gail, but I don't know if HE would buy it! lol

Probably so, E!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Everyone is in such a hurry, I just leave early in case there is a tie up along the way.

Pumice said...

At school I tell them to be careful which finger they pick their nose with.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Most folks don't seem to figure that out, Kathy.

That idea sorta makes me not want to shake hands with anyone, Pumice.