Sunday, June 19, 2016

Have You Heard…

-

…of the expression “Wednesday week” (or Monday week, and so on)? I used the expression on the phone with my mom today and, of course, she understood. A lot of folks these days wouldn’t, though. It’s a term that I don’t hear anymore, except on rare occasions from old geezers like myself. I suppose it’s a dying piece of American terminology. To those who’ve never heard, it simply means “a week from Wednesday.” Have you heard the expression? Do you STILL hear it in your “neck-of-the-woods?” © 2016
-

9 comments:

Lady Locust said...

I've heard it but confess don't use it. As you said, seldom even hear it any more.

Ralph Goff said...

I don't use the expression myself but certainly am familiar with it. I thought it was a British based term. Something my grandparents would have used. Like a "fortnight".

deborah harvey said...

until you mentioned it i didn't realize it may be years since i heard it.

Gorges Smythe said...

I think its use is dying, LL.

A lady on Facebook from the UK says it's still in use over there, Ralph, so you're probably right. I haven't heard "fortnight" for a "coon's age" either!

I think we're out-living our language, dh!

Euripides said...

Dag nabbit! The old language is dying out.

Gorges Smythe said...

Dag nabbit, E, you;re right! lol

Jim said...

I have to admit I've never heard that used before, and I'm older than you. It may be more of a locational term that just never was used in my area. However, there are a lot of language differences throughout the nation.

Caddie said...

"Wednesday next"

This expression is alive and well in my "neck of the woods". I always say this instead of: 'not this Wednesday but the Wednesday after next'.

My way saves a lot of breath And words. Important things when you are aged, like me.

Gorges Smythe said...

There IS a lot of difference in terminology, Jim, just like the different accents.

I've heard that one too, Caddie, but it's never been common around here.