Sunday, June 26, 2016

More Arrowheads (w/pic)

-
Click image to enlarge.

During World War II, my grandfather lived on a small farm near Point Pleasant, West Virginia and worked in a ship-building yard there. With their fields in the flood plain of the Kanawha River, it’s not surprising that they turned up a few arrowheads as they plowed with their horses or mule. I suspect these arrowheads were all found by my grandfather, but some could have been found by my uncle or great-grandfather. Regardless, it was my uncle that put them on a small board and took them to grade school for a project.

As I said when I showed the photo of my dad’s collection, I can only say for sure that the smallest ones are truly arrowheads, though the others might have been. The rest could just as easily been points for lances (not spears) or atlatl darts. Something to think about – any complete point was probably lost in use; otherwise, they would have reused it until it broke. That brings us to the roundish pointed one – my guess is that the point broke in use and the owner reworked it to use either as a blunt arrow point for small game, OR as a skinning knife. Naturally, that’s only a GUESS.


My uncle passed away several years ago and I inherited these because everyone knew that such things interested me. He DOES have one adult grandson, though, so I’ve decided to pass them along to him. With them, I’ll include a small, three compartment mahogany box that my uncle gave me, which he picked up in Haiti, when he was in the navy. Also, I’ll send him a brass belt buckle with Granddad’s initial on it (his great-granddad) that he wore for years on his work belts. I hope he appreciates them. He seems like a good guy, so I suspect he will. © 2016
-

2 comments:

Euripides said...

How fun. Where I grew up, the irrigation ditches used to wash pottery bits and arrowheads almost into my back yard. We used to collect boxes full of them. Didn't keep them, though.

Gorges Smythe said...

Shame you didn't, but that's what most kids do! lol