Monday, June 27, 2016

My Day In The Slow Lane

-
My wife was awake all last night, so slept way past noon. I decided to try napping a little more myself, but it didn’t work. I finally just did everything I could think to do on the computer, in order to stay quiet enough not to wake her. After arising, we talked a while, she fixed some lunch, then finally decided that she needed to go to the Chinese Emporium to pick up a couple things. She goes there partly for exercise, as she pretty much walks around until she wears down.

I did my best to beat in time, but I’ve spent so many hours there in the last few months that it’s almost like torture to have to stay inside while she wanders the aisles. Still, it’s too hot to be outside. I tend to drift from the tools to the sporting goods, to the lawn and garden section, to the magazines, to the restroom, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I very nearly “bumped into” my ex-wife there today, when we almost collided at an intersection. I think we both smiled, I said “excuse me,” she said “hello” and we both moved on. That’s the first time we’ve spoken in 30 years. Actually, I would like to have spoken to her a second and congratulated her on the two teaching awards that she’s received over the years, one state and one national; I always knew that she was good at teaching.

I had to smile after seeing her, thinking about how she got all concerned when I was about 20 pounds over-weight. No doubt, she was shocked at the blimpish old man she saw in the handicapped cart. I have to admit, she was slim and trim and didn’t look her age. Good for her; her life will be the better for it. I suffered a lot of grief when we split up, maybe she did, too; I really don’t know. It was probably for the best, though, especially for her, as we were hopelessly mismatched. I could give some details that would explain some things, but it’s all water over the dam at this point. I wish her a long and happy life.

When the missus and I got back out to the truck, it was 100 degrees in the parking lot. It dropped to 95 as we passed through the “burbs,” and 86 a quarter mile after we hit the country. It was 84 as I parked the truck in front of the house. There’s a lot to be said for country living!

I heard only one locust hollering yesterday; I think they’ve about run their course. I doubt if I’m here to see (or hear) their next invasion; I’d be 78 if I was. I’m not sure that I want to live that long, at least not if this world stays on the same path and my health declines much at all. I have a much better place waiting for me. Still, the drive to survive is so strong, I’ll probably do everything I can to see that next horde of locusts (or the next day). Like they say, we all want to go to heaven, we just don’t want to take today’s bus.

It’s raining again down in flood country. They finally had some reports of looting, probably by druggies needing a fix. The Fayette County Sheriff warned that any looters they caught would be jailed. He also warned that if residents caught them first, they might never MAKE IT to jail. I suspect he’s right. © 2016
-

6 comments:

deborah harvey said...

met a man at a funeral a few years ago who dealt in mining equipment. said it was dangerous in W.Va. because all the jobless had begun in the meth business to make ends meet but had started taking it themselves. they were crazy and you didn't want to get lost in those places.
lo, how the independent and spirited have fallen.

Gorges Smythe said...

Times have sure changed, dh!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My husband followed me to quilt shops on our vacation so in turn I will be spending 3 days at Reelfoot Lake in TN at some future time.

Chickenmom said...

That sure was an interesting day! You are a good man, Gorges. And yes, it is always cooler in cow country. Always nice to get home.

Ralph Goff said...

Seems to me in the old days that looters would be shot. Seems fair. And yes, the best thing about the city is getting out of it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Good for you, Kathy!

Yes it is, Cm!

Right on BOTH counts, Ralph.