Sunday, July 10, 2016

Confessions

-
Some of you know that I have an ornery streak. Some of you may even remember that I’ve told you that it used to be worse than it is. Well, it used to be even worse than I’ve told. Back in high school, I was entirely too ornery (read “sinful”) for my own good. My mind wasn’t exactly what you might call “turned to Godly things.” Now I wasn’t extremely foul-mouthed, but I was a little bit and despite having been raised in a Christian home, I LOVED to poke fun at some Christian kids who were overly impressed with their own righteousness. Two girls come first to mind.

The first girl, I’ll call “Jackie.” She was the younger sister of a friend of mine. She could be sweet and kind and polite and all those virtuous things. Indeed, she was the epitome of a “nice girl.” The problem was, NO-ONE knew better than her just what a nice girl she was! Now, my way of dealing with such girls was to speak in double entendre almost constantly. While my words were all innocent-sounding if taken literally, they could have some very ornery meanings, even nasty and foul sometimes, IF you took them figuratively. Invariably, that’s the way Jackie took them. She would grow increasingly agitated with me until she would often simply tell me to leave. (Who could blame her?) After this went on quite a while, she got REALLY “righteous” with me a time or two, and I REALLY got her goat. I reminded her that if I was being as nasty as she thought, she wouldn’t even know it if her mind was as pure as she let on.

That pretty-much ended the slightest possibility that we could ever be any sort of friends. But I finally backed off and we were able to be civil with one another until our paths quit crossing. She went on to marry a very nice guy, and I’m sure they have nice kids. At this point, I don’t even mean that facetiously. I’m sure adulthood has taken her out of her youthful self-admiration. I believe her and her family are considered good and decent people by everyone who knows them.

The other girl I’ll call “Jenny,” since that was her name. I was originally somewhat attracted to her until I saw the way she was. I began dealing with Jenny, then, the same as I did Jackie. Unlike Jackie, Jenny kept her cool, though visibly flustered. In fact, it was obvious that she continued to like the attention. She got her revenge our senior year, though, when I asked her to sign my yearbook. Three years of pent-up frustration came pouring out on the page, and though she didn’t use one foul word, I got called everything but the proverbial white man. I was shocked, but somewhat amused. I had it coming, but I was a little surprised she’d do it in ink in a yearbook, instead of just giving it to me verbally.

Those days are long gone, and I like to think that I’m a little better behaved. I’d certainly BETTER be, since I’ve been calling myself a Christian for 33 years. I haven’t bumped into either of the two for many years, but, even now, they’d probably give you a less than flattering opinion of my moral character if you asked. I wouldn’t fault them, though; some things can’t be undone. Do I regret doing it now? Well, yes, but less for their sakes than because I lowered my own self by doing it. Unfortunately, it took me a LONG while to grow up. Some guys are like that. © 2016
-

4 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I think a lot of us regret things from when we were younger.

Gail said...

Orneriness adds interest.

We would not survive without our jokes and teases here.

Caddie said...

Probably we have all got "grey" areas (vs. black) when young It takes a whole lot of years living to realize the mistakes we made when younger. That's what life is about: Live and learn!

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, some more than others, no doubt, Kathy.

Probably true, Gail.

Very true, Caddie.