Sunday, July 24, 2016

I Splurged (w/pic)

-
Click image to enlarge.


In this photo, you’ll see my latest acquisitions. Fiskars used to be a good brand, but I got these in Chinamart, so naturally they were made in China. The bow saw is a 21 inch and the folder is what I’d call 6-1/2 inch (of teeth). I got tired of trying to make do with the soft metal of the bow saw blades carried by ACE Hardware, and my regular (antique) pruning saw is on my bench, disassembled, ready to be refurbished a bit. SO, since I have a little work I wish to do before dog days end, I decided to splurge a little. The saws ran about $10 each, and while the bow saw has hardened teeth, the folder should be sharpenable. I like having a folder that fits in my jeans pocket. I actually have another one, but it’s in my “emergency” box in my truck, and I didn’t want to have to dig it out every time I wanted one. Pretend you don’t see the cookie crumb. Sometimes the Mighty Dachshund gets a bit sloppy. © 2016
-

9 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Fiskars are good for quilting scissors but I can't comment on anything else. I hope yours do a good job for you. I didn't even notice the cookie when I enlarged so you are OK. LOL

Sunnybrook Farm said...

The last china saw blade that I got dulled quickly and appeared to be made out of those bands that they strap down lumber with. I now get old ones at antique places and file them and use an antique tool to set the teeth.

Pumice said...

And I thought you were cleaning out. Make sure they don't end up in your basement.

Grace and peace.

deborah harvey said...

trying to accomplish tasks without the proper tools is frustrating and a drain on the energy.
good to have something that works well.

Gorges Smythe said...

Kathy, their tools used to all be made in Finland, I think it was, and the quality was great. Now, most of their stuff is made in China and I'm wondering how long before the quality suffers.

That's probably a wise way to go, SF.

That's a valid concern, Pumice. I put a sawmill and table saw in that basement and haven't seen either one since (not to mention a lot of smaller things)!

Well said, dh.

country life said...

Congrats hopefully will make your projects go faster! :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, cl.

Chickenmom said...

Can never, ever, have enough tools, Gorges.... :o)

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, Cm, I have doubles and triples of a few tools, simply because I can't FIND the earlier ones!