Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Milestones

-
I had two errands to run this morning. First, I went to get set up with my CPAP machine. The letters stand for “continuous positive airway pressure.” I’ll be using it for the first time tonight. It will supposedly make things easier on my heart, lower my blood pressure, and MAYBE give me more energy. I hope it does. The doctor said that my apnea wasn’t bad, but that I’d still benefit from the machine. I’ve been snoring for 40 years, so I may have had apnea for that long. If so, that may be a lot of what put me in the shape I’m in.

The second errand was delivering a written resignation at the trucking company where I worked, so they could take my name off of the driving roster. I’d kept hoping that my strength would return and I could go back to work, but I finally had to give up on that little dream. I’m officially retired from full-time work at this point, but I can’t say that I’m entirely happy about it. I wasn’t doing all that well financially when I was working; now we’ll have to try surviving on half that amount.

I really enjoyed driving a dump truck and saw some sites and went some places that I never would have seen otherwise. While I don’t miss getting up at 4:30 in the morning, I DO miss the morning bull sessions before work and I miss the driving more than I ever imagined that I would. I was treated well at the company, with the exception of one troubled fellow, but I received NOT ONE call, visit or card from my bosses during the ten months that I’ve been off, so I guess I know my true value to them. I DID get two calls from one of the secretaries, but I think she was put up to it the second time.

Things have been slow around here in the construction business, and that secretary told me that there had only been two weeks this year when at least one person didn’t get a low-earnings slip with their paycheck. She told me that I haven’t missed all that much, work-wise. I’d noticed a lot of trucks still sitting in the yard on the few occasions that I’d driven by the place.


Oh well, I have some pleasant memories of my time there; but life moves on. There are still things that I might be able to do to raise a few bucks, and I don’t mean just thinning my stuff down by selling unneeded items. I also have what could be called “hobby interests” to keep my mind occupied, so I’ll be fine. Since I can’t deal physically with some of the maintenance around here, we’ll probably consider selling out more seriously. 

I used to look forward to retirement, but not under THESE circumstances. Whatever happens, life will be different, that’s for sure. © 2016
-

5 comments:

deborah harvey said...

the golden years--a reference to what you put into your doctor's pockets.

if you begin to sleep well you will lose weight and have more energy.

Pumice said...

I wonder if any of your hobby interests could morph into some kind of income generator. I know it is easier said than done but with the internet all kinds of things are possible.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Agreed on the first, dh, and I hope you're right on the second.

Probably not, Pumice, but maybe.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Maybe they may not have been legally able to call. If you are out on sick leave the employers are not supposed to contact you about health, some do like my immediate boss, but depending on who they are dealing with they may not feel comfortable with it between HIPPA regulations and worrying about lawsuits.

Gorges Smythe said...

You may have a point, Kathy.