Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Research Is Complete

-
I'd asked my stepson if he'd ask my 9-year-old granddaughter (by him) how many of the songs I listed from my childhood that she knew. I was surprised how many she knew, but also WHICH ONES she knew and which she didn't. The list is below, and the ones she knew are in bold.

Who’s in the Kitchen with Dina?
Wreck of the Old 97
The Ballad of Casey Jones
The Ballad of John Henry
Goober Peas
Skip to my Lou
Red River Valley
America the Beautiful
Star Spangled Banner
Old Joe Clark
Little Liza Jane
Goodbye Old Paint
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Oh Shenandoah
Oh My Darling Clementine
Oh The West Virginia Hills
God Bless America
Blue-Tailed Fly
Jim Along Josie
Dixie
La Cucaracha
Three Spanish Galleons
Hot Tortillas
Allouette
Las Chiapanecas
Nelly Bly
Grandfather’s Clock
I’ve Been Working on the Railroad
Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair
My Old Kentucky home
Old Folks at Home
Hail Columbia Gem of the Ocean
The Caisson Song
Anchors Away
The U.S. Air Force Song
The Marine Hymn
Oh, Susanna
Wait for the Wagon
Down in the Valley
Row-Row Your Boat
Old MacDonald
-

2 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Maybe they play some of them on cartoons for kids or music class in school.??

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't really know, Kathy, but she's heard only a fraction of the list, which in my book says that she's very out-of-touch with our history and lore. (School's fault, not hers.)