Thursday, July 14, 2016

What A Place For A Bite!

-
As I was driving along flapping my gums to my wife yesterday, I seemed to choke over a crumb. I’d eaten something just recently, but that particular crumb seemed to stay put and only moved from the back of my mouth to the left of the entrance of my throat only with much coughing and gargling of water. There, it seemed to reattach for a while.

Once home, I noticed some swelling and unsuccessfully prodded around with both ends of a toothbrush to see if I could feel anything. As the swelling grew worse, I began gargling with salt water, thinking that I might have scratched my throat with the toothbrush. When I finally went to bed about 11:30, I took a couple Tylenol and a couple Chlortabs. Having slight difficulty breathing, and much difficulty swallowing, I stayed awake until three o’clock, at which time I arose.

Downstairs, I took a couple aspirin and watched some lousy TV with my wife for an hour. Then I took another Chlortab, showered in expectation of going to a quick med place at eight, and went online for a while. By 5 o’clock, I noticed that the swelling was going down some, so I went back to bed and finally managed to fall asleep. When I got up the final time, about 9:30, the swelling was down considerably, but had settled into my voice-box, making me hoarse. And so I’ve been all day. I decided not to go to the quick med place.

When I looked into the very back of my mouth, I saw a red spot. Crumbs don’t make red spots, or make your throat swell, so I deduced that SOMETHING had bitten me INSIDE my mouth. Had it been hard-shelled, I’m sure that I would have felt it, so it must have been something soft. A lot of spiders have been hatching around here lately, so I think that in my blabbing, I sucked in a tiny spider, which then nailed me in the back of the mouth. It’s not an experience that I’d care to repeat.


I’m going to hit the hay soon, so I just took another Chlortab, and will take some aspirin before going upstairs. Being on blood thinner, I hate to take aspirin, lest I pee some blood, but I figure it’s worth the chance to get the swelling down a little more. I guess that’s what I get for talking so much! © 2016
-

6 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

How annoying and scary that must have been.

Chickenmom said...

'Hope you are better now Gorges. Hubby and I wound up eating a lot of bugs while riding the Harley - the hard shelled ones were the worst!

deborah harvey said...

well, thank God you're not dead!
i have notices those long web strings that the young spiders float around on. it is early for that ,usually in early autumn.
starlings gathered already to go south. dry leaf fall so i think an early winter--possibly a severe one.
just a guess.

Gorges Smythe said...

I was more than a little concerned, Ralph. The idea of struggling for my breath was foremost, but it never got to that point.

Protein, Cm! lol

Thanks, dh, I was trying to be cool but cautious about it. As for an early or bad winter, they're ALL too early and too bad for me anymore. I'd be a snowbird if I could afford to be.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Ewww. It is a horrible place but I have heard that we eat more bugs than we know.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'd rather not think about that, Kathy! lol