Tuesday, August 16, 2016

As Of Late

-
I haven’t done much keeping you informed lately about my exciting life and brilliant thoughts, so here goes:

I went to the quick med place the other evening with chest pain. I thought it was my gut, but with Congestive Heart Failure and A-Fib, I figured that I’d better get it checked out. It WAS my stomach, but the doctor sent me to the ER to have my blood checked to be sure. I turned out to be fit as a broken fiddle, so they sent me home.

The AC in the truck isn’t quite keeping up on hot days, nor is the one in the house. The truck probably needs Freon, or whatever. As for the house, we’re cooling more of it than we need. There’s a big beam and a row of posts going down the center of our house and I’d like to put a curtain along the beam to block off the half we never use anyway. The missus says no, so the AC and heater work harder than needed and the bills stay higher than we can afford.

I wish my wife hadn’t gotten so prissy in her old age. If she’d eat what I could forage, hunt and fish for, I think we could reduce our grocery bill by a third.

I picked up a package of oranges at Chinamart the other day. I’ve never eaten TOUGH oranges before. They’re moist enough, they’re just tough! While there, I procured three electric buggies in a row that were so low on charge that I knew better than to use them. I plugged them all in as people quite using them and finally found a fourth one with a full charge, not that it worked exactly right.

While there and in another store, I looked for some rope. You can’t find either manila or nylon rope in the junky stores anymore; you have to go to a legitimate hardware store. All the cheap joints have are paracord, jute twine and poly. Poly turns to shreds in sunlight before long, so I consider it worthless.

The weatherman keeps predicting storms, but all we ever get is a few rumbles of thunder and a three minute down-pour. We need rain BADLY. Still, the grass needs mowed, since it’s been WEEKS since the last mowing. However, when I went to start the mower yesterday, the guy from the shop had accidentally left the switch on and the battery was DEAD from sitting there that way for two weeks. It wasn’t a new battery to begin with, so I don’t know if it will take a charge still, or not. Sing along with me, “If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all…”

SOME of you may remember, many decades ago, when it was popular to get your blue-jeans long, so you could turn up the bottom of the legs. I always have to do that anymore, since the manufacturers think anyone as big around as I am must be about eight feet tall. My wife just heard today, on the TV, that the style is coming back. OF COURSE IT IS! I always have been a trend-setter!

With that one, the “Sage of Tick Ridge” bids you a good day! © 2016
-

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Glad your trip to the ER wasn't what you thought. It is always a relief to find we aren't quite as sick as we thought we were. :)
I have saved clothes thinking that they might be in style again. Turns out by the time that trend reappears, the clothes have shrunk while hanging in my closet. Funny, how they will do that.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Vicki, I didn't realize how those old-fashioned fabrics would shrink as they got older. I have the same problem!

deborah harvey said...

saw a guy with the turned up dungaree legs and thought he had mistakenly bought the wrong size!
now i know better thanks to the hillbilly fashion maven. many thanks.

Chickenmom said...

Glad it was just a tummy problem and glad that you went to have it checked out! I hate A/C but it is necessary sometimes!

Lady Locust said...

Glad to hear jeans are coming back 'in.' (Maybe gals wearing nylons as pants will go 'out.') You stylin' dude you! :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Cm, I LOVE AC, but I can get by with a fan if need be.

Yeah, LL, some us just have it! lol

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

The young girl who was an intern for us during the summer wore blue jeans with the bottoms rolled up as cuffs and then I saw Big Bell bluejeans in a Target ad over the weekend. Big Bells! I wore those in the 70's; however, I don't think I'd go for the hip huggers anymore.

Gorges Smythe said...

Kathy, with my Dunlap's Disease, I have to be careful or my regular jeans begin looking like hip-huggers! lol