Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Something Of Their Great-Grandfathers'

-


Above, you see a brass belt buckle, a chromed belt buckle and a cloth measuring tape. The brass buckle and tape belonged to one relative and the chromed buckle to another. I’m not sure just how I ended up with them, but they’re mine for the present.

I never remember the old gentleman wearing the chromed buckle, but then, I wasn’t around him much. He would have been 50 years old, when it was made in 1930. As a result, I don’t think he would have bought it for himself. At that time, he had kids ranging from five to 20, so I’m guessing it was either a Christmas or birthday gift from one or more of them, but I have no way of being sure.


I remember well the gent who wore the brass buckle. He wore it for years with a cloth military-style work belt. The belt got replaced a few times, I think. The tape was his, too, though I never saw him use it. I certainly don’t need these items. I have memories of both men, so these small mementos will soon be the latest victims of my “ridding out.” I know a great grandson of each man, so I’m going to pass them on. I hope they take care of them, but neither met the original owner. I still have a LOT of items to go, mostly small, so you might see a few of them. © 2016
-

4 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Good heavens! I haven't seen a cloth tape in ages! Thanks or posting!

Gorges Smythe said...

You're welcome, Cm. I think they still make them, but they're expensive and only a few builders and such use them. I think they only come in 100 foot lengths, too.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I remember the cloth measuring tapes, I think my dad had one because I used to wind one up when I was little. Wow, I had almost forgotten about that until you posted. I hope the families enjoy the gifts!

Gorges Smythe said...

I hope so too, Kathy.