Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Saving Pee And Mouthing Off

-
I took the Mighty Dachshund out to take care of business yesterday morning and the first thing she did was to drop right by the front porch and soak the place where we step up. Apparently, she was in more dire need than I realized. She was down so long that I thought, surely, she couldn’t have another drop in her. However, on our way over to the “dumping ground,” she stopped, smelled a spot where I was sure that SHE hadn’t peed for ages, dropped and marked her territory. Both before and after dealing with the other matter, she stopped, apparently smelled some night-time interloper and marked territory again. She obviously saves a little bit back at all times, just in case she “needs” it!

I’ve read that dogs can decipher an amazing amount of information from smelling the “scents posts” of other dogs. They say that they can get a good indication of the other dog’s age, health, breeding readiness and, of course, sex. I guess you could say, then, that a doggie toilet is a cross between a community bulletin board, a gossip column and a singles site. All from a few drops of pee. That’s some way to communicate. I won’t even go into their butt-sniffing ways!

It was a nice morning, so I sat in the porch swing a while, with her at my feet. A little tufted tit-mouse was in a white oak 30 feet away, at the edge of the woods, raising all kinds of racket. Between bursts of chatter, it was pecking the bark looking for bugs and worms. Soon, I heard another one about a hundred feet down in the woods, then a third, and then a fourth. All seemed to be hunting for food, as I slowly located each one, but they made sure that all the others knew where they were. They may have been having actual conversations for all I know, but I don’t speak tit-mouse.

Before long, a bunch of crows invaded the woods, also looking for food no doubt. You could tell that they were some distance apart from one another, but staying in touch with constant chatter. That went on for perhaps twenty minutes until they worked their way out of my hearing.

About then, a car pulled into the driveway across the road. Soon, three women walked arm-in-arm toward the house, chattering and laughing as they went. The two younger women were on each side of an obviously elderly lady, so I’m sure they were being certain that she didn’t stumble. They were having a good time as they went, though. A member of the little herd of deer grazing about 100 feet from that house gave a warning snort and all looked up from their dining. They decided that the ladies presented no danger, though, and soon went back to grazing.


I thought about the things I’d seen and heard. There are solitary people, just as there are some solitary animals (mountain lions and such) but most creatures, man included, are basically herd (or flock ) animals, and communication is a big part of their lives. Even the fish of the oceans usually travel in schools and have ways to communicate. To prove my point, here I sit at my computer, and there you sit reading what I write, and vice versa. We aren’t so different from the little tit-mouse, I guess, doing our own thing, but still wanting to keep in touch. Thanks for being there folks, otherwise, who would read this drivel? © 2016
-

7 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Interesting to read after a long day in the tractor. Not sure if I'll get around to a blog post tonight.

Vicki said...

Please keep on writing what you erroneously call "drivel." I for one enjoy reading about what is going on in your neck of the woods. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Ralph; there's always tomorrow.

Thanks, Vicki, and I enjoy your posts, too.

Fredd said...

This one may have been more drivelly that most, (a post on dog piss). I still read it, though. No comment, however.

Chickenmom said...

We love your posts, Gorges! A seat on your porch opens up a world most people don't even notice!

Lady Locust said...

Sounds like a relaxing scene.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL - Coming from YOU, Fredd, I consider that a compliment!

Glad you enjoyed it, Cm.

It was, LL; it doesn't take much to entertain me anymore.