Sunday, October 9, 2016

A Geezerly Sunday Afternoon.

-
We forgot a couple things at Chinamart yesterday, so we went to the one on the other side of town today to finish our shopping. Well, actually my wife did the shopping, I stayed at the truck with the dog, my preferred place, now that the weather is cooler and we can take her along.

I found enough change in the truck to get her a double cheeseburger with an “extra” slice of cheese at the neighboring Burger King. The second slice used to be included, until they started raising their prices and shrinking their product. Of course, they messed it up and put everything on it, so I had to take it in and exchange it for what I’d ordered in the first place. Because someone couldn’t take the time to look at the screen long enough to tell what they were seeing, a sandwich got trashed. What a waste!

The mighty Dachshund used to actually prefer Burger King burgers, until they started making them of rubber and paraffin, or whatever the stuff is. She ate it today, since I put the extra slice of cheese on it and hand-fed it to her a tiny bite at a time. She still didn’t want it, but the hand-feeding was just too much for her to resist. After eating she took a long drink of water. Then, I put the retractable leash on her and sat on the truck tailgate while she wandered around, sniffed, sat watched traffic a few times and left her “mark” here and there. Finally, she came and sat a couple feet to my left and watched the traffic for a while. Eventually, she walked over to the driver’s side and prepared to climb down the curb and go to “her” door. That was her way of saying that she’d had her fill of the outdoor life and was ready to get back in the truck.

When my wife came out, she was irritated that I’d fed her a Burger King sandwich, knowing that the pooch now prefers McDonald’s. Besides, she insisted that the burgers are so puny that she’d just be hungry again later. (She turned out to be right, but I’m not sure it had anything to do with the minuscule burgers.) A bit of ice cream seemed to fit the bill. (Nothing spoiled about THAT dog!)

My wife had forgotten potatoes, so she wanted to go to the other store and get them. All the way there, she complained about how crowded the store was and how rude the people were. I keep telling her that folks are more tolerant of people on handicapped carts when they see a cane in the thing, but she’s too vain to be seen with one any more than absolutely necessary.

When she came out of the second store she was again complaining how crowded IT was and how rude the people were. I asked her if they were as bad as the folks at the other store, and she said no, but they were plenty bad. There really is a difference from one side of town to the other. I’ve got a theory as to why that is, but there’s no way to prove it. I think it’s because they average poorer, and haven’t had as good a raising, plus, a lot more of them over there come in from the back counties. I know that sounds pretentious, but I don’t know how else to explain it.

I took a nap when we got home, then went out looking for a sapling to make a sturdy six-foot pole. I already had one, but needed two. I need to start bringing in a few dollars for gasoline money, since the grocery costs rise, literally, on a weekly basis. I need to cut a few small trees around the place anyway, so I thought I’d sell a little firewood. The two poles will be at each end of the stack, with a couple pieces a baling twine from top to top to keep them from spreading outward. With a couple poles on the ground, my system makes a surprisingly strong but unobtrusive wood rack. I have another income plan for later, but I’ll discuss that another day. © 2016
-

5 comments:

Sixbears said...

Poverty is no excuse for bad manners. Wealth is no excuse either.

It is not weak to be polite.

Gail said...

Sounds like an interesting outing.

Good luck with your fire wood venture.

Gorges Smythe said...

Very true, Sixbears.

Thanks, Gail.

Joy said...

I like hearing about your outings with the Mighty Dachshund. I'm good friends with the Dachshund next door to me. If I have to go to Chinamart, I hit it at 8AM. It's nearly empty, the employees are visiting with each other, and I can fly through.

Gorges Smythe said...

Joy, when I worked afternoons, I went there a couple times after midnight. It was the same way then.