Friday, October 28, 2016

The Mighty Dachshund (pics)

-
Click image to enlarge.

This is the Mighty Dachshund in 2012 at age three. This is often my view when I look down from my computer. Her name is Coco, named for Coco Channel (lol). She's a purebred long-haired dachshund. We never bothered to register her, since we weren't going to breed or show her. I nick-named her what I did due to her always pretending to be a regular Captain Courageous, even though she's a chicken at heart. I DO think she'd get vicious with anyone who tried messing with my wife, though.

Click image to enlarge.

This is the view that I often have of her when I'm sitting in the porch swing (my right knee is in lower right). She likes to lie there and rest her chin on the little raised rail around the porch. She's VERY muscular (her chest and front legs remind me of a bulldog), and a little over-weight besides, but she's not actually as fat as everyone thinks she is. (People have to tell me all the time how fat she is, as if it's any of THEIR business. I imagine that they're actually using it as an allegory about my own blubber, though, and just don't have the courage to insult me directly, since while I'm old, I'm still wide shouldered compared to many folks and I carry a stout hickory cane!)

I happened to have a tape measure with me last week when this photo was taken, and I measured 1-1/2 inches of hair on her left side and an inch on her right. I don't mean that her hair is that length; a lot is much longer. I mean that I had to shove the tape in that far to hit anything solid. If we gave her a haircut, she'd look like a much smaller animal. But people don't matter, SHE does, so her hair is just fine by us. If you ever meet her, she'll bark and growl like she's going to murder you, but you'll notice that her tail's wagging the whole time. You can pet her the the first moment you're close enough and she'll never snap at you. She just feels that she has to earn her nick-name! © 2016
-

6 comments:

deborah harvey said...

the m. d. is adorable.
don't think i've seen a dachshund with so much hair. used to be a popular breed.
don't see cocker spaniel, either.

Terry said...

What a cutie!
Terry
Fla.

Gorges Smythe said...

Breeds of dogs are like clothing, dh, there are fads among the "me too's."

Yeah, Terry, I agree, but where you and I see cute, some old bag up in Amish country today saw fat. If it weren't for the fact that she was probably 80 years old, I would have tripped her! (Just kidding, but I find such folks disgusting; what's the poor pooch ever done to her?)

Chickenmom said...

Oh, how I miss having a dog! Have been after the kids to get Hubby one for Christmas.

Gorges Smythe said...

You might have to get it yourself, Cm. Some folks don't follow advice very well! - lol

Joy said...

There she is! She's pretty, and from looking at her eyes, I think she is very loving. If I met her, I'd want to brush her hair and talk to her. She would like me.