Saturday, November 26, 2016

Fighting A Cold And Visiting Chinamart

-
About a week ago, I worked outside for about a half-hour in the wind and ended up with a head-ache. It hung on for a week and wouldn’t respond to acetaminophen or ibuprofen, so I figured it was either turning into a sinus infection or a cold. Since I wasn’t really showing any obvious signs of a cold, the missus thought I was just being a hypochondriac, which is her usual thinking. However, the sneezing and snotting kicked in yesterday, so she finally realized that I wasn’t blowing smoke. I got some over-the-counter cold dope and the head-ache is gone and the sneezing and snotting is greatly reduced. Still, I spent so much time sneezing and blowing my nose last night that I didn’t fall asleep until sometime after 3am. Also, my sinuses were blocked badly enough that I couldn’t use my C-PAP machine. I doubt if I can tonight, either.

Yesterday, despite barely being able to walk anymore (because of pain in her hip), my wife decided that she wanted to go to the mall and take a round. We had just barely got into the beginning of gridlock when we remembered that it was “Black Friday.” (Remember when that meant the supposed day of the crucifixion?) We managed to drive around a block and change directions, so we headed for the Chinamart on the far side of town. It was busy, but bearable. The missus got about half what we needed before she got tired of the crowd and we went home.

While there, I cornered the store manager and thanked him for having the only store in the area that had a reasonable number of handicapped scooters. Most stores have only about half of what they need. Most stores are forgetting that we baby-boomers are hitting retirement age, and a lot of us aren’t in very good shape.

Today, we went to the Chinamart up next to the mall. Traffic was heavy, but not like yesterday. My wife picked up most of the stuff she hadn’t gotten yesterday, while I tried snoozing in the truck. They have a big Toys-For-Tots thing up there and some other things that may or may not be related. They have a fake steam train that they blow the “whistle” on every few minutes, and there were some elves and the Grinch dancing around to deafening music and hugging any little kid who would let them. Darth Vader and three of his “friends” were there, too, for some reason. I found it amusing that it was mostly adults who wanted their picture taken with the galactic goofball. You have to wonder if some folks ever grow up. (Incidentally, Word recognized “Darth Vader” with no problem, yet many common words of the English language get underlined—more proof that the system was set up by under-educated “kids.”

I watched the last 40 minutes of a Gaither musical/history program called “Circuit Rider,” a little while ago. One of my great-grandfathers started out as a circuit rider. I told my wife that if those old-time preachers could hear a lot of what passes for religious music these days, they’d probably think it was the work of the devil. They sort of got to rockin’ and a-rollin’ a couple times! Oh well, to each their own; we enjoyed MOST of the show.


I’m feeling tired, though it’s only 9pm. I may hit the hay soon, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll sleep. I guess if I don’t, I can always do like I did last night and study in Genesis a while. © 2016
-

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Hope you feel better soon, Gorges. Colds are really the pits!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Vicki; they are, indeed!

Sixbears said...

Take care Gorges. I'm still not fully recovered from my nasty cold. That last little bit just keeps hanging on. At least I can somewhat function again.

If those sinus meds can clear your head enough to use the cpap the better rest would help.