Wednesday, November 16, 2016

No Work Today

-
The third Wednesday is the day that my disability funds become available each month. So, I went to the bank and withdrew them, gave the missus her spending money for the month, bought us a salad at Wendy’s and then picked up a couple things that I needed.

First, I had my air tank filled at a local auto repair shop. I’ve dealt there for years, so they don’t charge me anything. I’d love to have an electric powered compressor, but can’t spare the funds and would have no safe place to store it anyway. The only time that I need it, normally, is to pump up a tire on my lawn tractor. I need to take it off and have the slow leak located; then, I’d rarely need the tank at all.

Next, I went to the mom and pop hardware store a couple blocks further on and picked up some things. First, I needed a new tip for my cane. The newer ones cost 50% more than they did a year ago, have less material in them, and only last about half as long. “Progress,” I guess. I also got a couple wire wheels to use in my portable drills to clean metal parts, especially the tools that I plan to rehaft this winter. Since I can’t currently locate my spade bits in the basement, I bought a 5/8” bit to drill a couple holes I need in my sawmill frame. I think I put all my bits in a box, so I that wouldn’t misplace them. Unfortunately, I can’t find the box. I hope I will, if I can reorganize the basement this winter.

I wanted to go to Rural King and check out their blue jeans and pick up some naphtha to degrease saw chains, but we got a later start than I’d planned on originally, so I decided to do that another day. Instead, we went to Chinamart and picked up a couple things the missus and I needed for our holiday meals. On the way home, we stopped and got the pooch a grilled chicken sandwich, since she hadn’t had one for a long time. She enjoyed it. After putting the groceries away, we went back in and got a cheap pizza for supper. We felt that we needed something terribly unhealthy to help offset the salad we’d had for lunch. Except for my wife’s birthday dinner tomorrow, today will be our main food splurge for the month. I’ll probably take her to Olive Garden, but that’s up to her.

When I finish typing this up, I’ll divide up the paltry amount that I get into weekly budgets, put them in envelopes and give them to my wife. She’ll then put them in her purse with her pistol and they’ll be guarded with her life. I used to handle everything, but she always complained about my management style, so I gave her the job. It seems to make her happy, so life is more peaceful now.

I’m pretty sure that I won’t get anything done on the wife’s big day, so I guess it will be Friday before I can get back to work on my firewood project. One thing about work, if you don’t get it finished, it will always be there taunting you! © 2016
-

7 comments:

Sixbears said...

Never put off for tomorrow what can be put off forever. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Don't tell me that, Sixbears: I do too much of that already! - lol

Vicki said...

I put things away for safekeeping. Then I promptly forget where I put them. Makes for some nice surprises when I accidently run across them a year or two later. :)

Glen Filthie said...

Mrs. Grouse carries???

AWESOME.

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Gorges Smythe said...

That's happens a LOT to me, Vicki.

Yeah, Glen, but it's just a .22, whereas mine's a .44.

Gail said...

Sounds like an enjoyable day out.

Gorges Smythe said...

Actually, Gail, it WAS.