Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Results Are In (to my blood test)

-
I’ve mentioned here before that, for the last year or so, my chest has begun to look slightly like Bruce Jenner’s. The problem IS, that I’d rather it didn’t. It’s just barely noticeable, since I’m a butterball anyway, but I get really tired of having a sore chest like a 13-year-old girl, or a nursing mother. The problem could be my age, my weight or, more likely, the fact that I’ve been taking up to four medications at one time that can have that side effect.

I’ve mentioned it to both my regular MD and my heart doctor. As a result, they’ve changed my medications a couple times. However, the problem continues to wax and wane. SO, I asked my heart doctor at the last visit if they ever treated the problem with male hormones. He said not unless I test low on them and told me to have my doctor do a blood test. I reminded him who my doctor was and he laughed and ordered the test himself.

About 10 days after the blood was drawn, I finally got a call from the heart doctor’s nurse saying that my hormone level was indeed low, and that I should contact my doctor, meaning my MD. I WILL get treatment, unless I have to pay for it myself. I tried calling today, but I was through the entire menu, and ready to leave a message, when the answering machine hung up on me because it was their lunch time. You see, they only run their machine when they’re there to ignore it. I’m NOT joking!

The thing I wonder is, why did I have to be the one to get the ball rolling? They’re doctors, for heaven’s sake; they should have found out about this a LONG time ago. I can guarantee you that if it was THEM growing boobs, they’d have been right on it. I consider it incompetence and a lack of caring on the part of my MD, and a false assumption on the part of my heart doctor that my MD was doing his job. It’s obvious that, from now on, I’m going to have to be a LOT more proactive concerning my healthcare. © 2016
-

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Good that your bought the subject up with your doctor, Gorges. A friend had the same symptoms and it was the hormone imbalance. He's a lot better now!

Lady Locust said...

For some reason, many folks seem to think doctors are gods when in actuality they are regular schmos like the rest of us. I doubt very many of them go into the medical field with the goal of actually wanting to help people be healthy. I am glad you got it figured out though. Hopefully, you can have some relief soon.

deborah harvey said...

we have an excellent doctor but in many ways you have to call attention to anomalies yourself.
thanks to the internet we have lots of info on home remedies that can help ameliorate some conditions, such as dietary restrictions which aid healing.
it is up to you to activate treatment.
it is the modern world and docs are not what they used to be.
many are parts of corporations and are themselves limited by regulations our old time independent docs did not have.

Sixbears said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of modern medicine. Glad you got tested. If we don't take care of ourselves no one else will. Good luck. Hope you get treatment.

Gorges Smythe said...

That's encouraging, Cm.

I hope so too, LL.

Yeah, dh, times have certainly changed.

I'm sure I will, Sixbears. Thanks.

Pumice said...

I continue to pray for your health although I must confess this issue would have never been on my radar.

It is amazing how often doctors need to be prodded.

Grace and peace

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, it IS, Pumice, and thanks for your prayers.