Saturday, December 3, 2016

"All Things Old Are New Again"

-
A nice little girl that my wife sometimes talks to at Chinamart told her the other day that she had something neat to show her."Something new and really pretty," she said. When she showed my wife some bubble lights, my wife chuckled before she could catch herself. She told the girl that they are sort of rare these days, but that they had them when SHE was a little kid, and that was many decades ago. The girl was surprised, and maybe a bit embarrassed, but she took it well. On the way home, we agreed that we were glad that the little clerk had discovered bubble lights; they ARE neat.

When I got home, I looked them up online and Wiki said they were first made in England in the late 1920's, but production didn't start in this country until 1946. We had them when I was a kid, and my wife's family did, too. We don't put any on our tree, but the missus has a little bubble light display in our two front windows. I swear, I think I could sit and watch them almost like a flickering campfire or a lava light. Remember THOSE? © 2016
-

4 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Its true. Most of the old stuff we had when I was a kid would now be considered "vintage" or new again. I had to search "bubble lights" that you mentioned and I've never seen anything like it here. If I actually ever put up a Christmas tree I'd dig out some of those 50s vintage glass ornaments to put on it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Use what ya got, Ralph; that's the farm way.

Lady Locust said...

The new ones don't last like the old ones - I know that's a shocker. I got a set a few yrs back and ended up putting them in the yard sale. The older ones were sturdier and I think had a hotter light so also worked better. I do like them though.
Lava lamps, holes in bean bags - good times.

Gorges Smythe said...

As we know, LL, modern quality ISN'T.