Sunday, December 25, 2016

Another Christmas Come And Gone

-
Christmas was a bit better than I’d expected really. We got to see “the kids” (stepson and wife) yesterday at lunch. I’d planned on taking the missus out for lunch, but since they had plans for the evening (meaning that we couldn’t drop by), they insisted that they take us out. The youngest and oldest granddaughters were along, and the oldest one’s boyfriend. I don’t know how that latter situation will work out. He’s back in town with a good job, while she still has another year in college, about 2-1/2 hours away. He seems like a good fellow, so I hope they make it work.

The youngest girl is 10, and the only one in the family to whom we still give gifts. Her tastes are beginning to elude us though, so I gave her a copy of “Alice in Wonderland,” which she seemed to genuinely appreciate, and the missus gave her a $20 bill, which she REALLY appreciated. They learn young! Like us, the little one only sees the older one about once or twice a year, so she spent a lot of time talking to her and hugging her. They have different mothers, so they never have spent much time together, but they seem to get along well, despite that and the age difference.

We’re blessed to have a very sweet daughter-in-law. Both her and my stepson have good jobs at this point, so I hope their lives travel an easier path than the missus and I have traveled. Lunch in a restaurant doesn’t really give you the time you’d like with kinfolk, but it was enough to put my wife in a better mood. Technically, I guess we were invited to have lunch with them today, but the invitation didn’t come soon enough, so the duck was already thawed and the rest of the stuff put together, so we ate at home.

We watched a few hours of Bill O’Reilley’s docudrama on the American Revolution this afternoon and early evening. Part way through, my wife remembered that she’d forgotten to give the Mighty Dachshund her Christmas gift, a little stuffed reindeer about eight inches tall. She was in seventh heaven, holding it in her mouth while rolling on her back, and then “grooming” it like it was her pup. She doesn’t know that her nibbling is engrained in her genes to kill nits on her pups, but even though she was spayed young, some of the mother instinct remains.

The series we were watching stopped at seven, and O’Reilley’s show on Lincoln starts at eight, but I think I’m a bit “over-historied” for now, so I may stay on the computer (or read), unless the missus finds something else interesting. I hope your day was a pleasant one. © 2016
-

6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Merry Christmas. Everyone has come and gone and now quiet again.

Gorges Smythe said...

And soon, LL, we'll start another year.

Ralph Goff said...

The winter storm did not hit as hard as predicted and the whole family got together for dinner and the afternoon. A good time and my new great niece was (I think) the centre of attention.

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad everyone had a good time, Ralph.

Vicki said...

Glad you and your wife were able to connect with family. That goes a long way toward making Christmas merry.

Gorges Smythe said...

It certainly does, Vicki.