Sunday, December 11, 2016

Another Little Brown Book (w/pic)

-
Click image to enlarge.

Well, I finally finished reading Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar.” I started it long ago, putting it in the truck to read when I was waiting on my wife at various places. I discovered though, that in spite of having read his play “Hamlet,” as a young man, that I have lost my patience for reading plays. WATCHING them is still fine, READING them, not so much. After many months of lying there unread, I finally picked it up the other day and finished it. I can’t really say that I enjoyed it, but the task is done.

Now, I’m starting ANOTHER little brown book as I call them. It’s one of the Macmillian Pocket Classics, printed in the early 1900’s, primarily for students, I suspect. It’s actually TWO small books in one, both travelogues written by Robert Louis Stevenson as a young man, before he became a well known author. The first, “Stevenson’s Travels With A Donkey,” was actually entitled “Travels With A Donkey In The Cevennes” (mountains in south central France). You can get additional information here:


The second volume is “An Inland Voyage,” the story of his canoe trip through France and Belgium, accompanied by his friend, Sir Walter Grindly Simpson More information on that book is available at the link below:


Incidentally, the little book is only about ½” thick, 4-1/4” wide and 5-3/4” tall. It really WOULD fit in many pockets. A note on the front fly shows that it was a Christmas gift to my yet unmarried maternal grandfather, Harley, in 1923 from his future brother-in-law, Carl. He and my great uncle-to-be were neighbors and friends. My granddad would probably have been in high school at that time, though he was born in 1900. The reason being, his dad moved a lot and my granddad actually got a year or two in at Marshal College (now University) in Huntington, West Virginia, without finishing high school. When they returned to his hometown of Spencer, he went back to high school and got his diploma. He and Grandma didn’t marry until 1928, when he was 28 and she was 31.

On a side note, when my granddad started showing up at his friend’s house (my future Uncle Carl) to see Carl’s sisters, they couldn’t figure out whether he was there to see Carrie, my future grandma, or her sister Lucy. Granddad was so bashful and well behaved that it took them nearly two years to figure it out! Times were different then, I guess.

I expect to enjoy this book much more than the last, and I’ll have to think twice (or thrice) before I read any more plays. © 2016

P.S. - Don't you just love how Blogger leaves some sections with no background color, despite everything being typed at the same time in Word?
-

No comments: