Friday, December 23, 2016

Forgotten Ancestors, Crazy Shoppers And Bah Humbug Holidays

-
Yesterday, I took the flowers Mom had put together for Christmas and placed them on Dad’s grave and the graves of my grandparents. It appeared that only two other graves in the little country cemetery had been decorated. When I was younger, the graves would have been awash with greenery and other decorations. Most of the folks who once decorated those graves are now dead themselves. The younger generation never knew a lot of the folks who are buried there. Unfortunately, most of them wouldn’t care if they did. I realize that the departed never know when their graves are decorated and when they’re not. It speaks volumes about those left behind, though.

I noticed that my own stone, which I set a couple years ago, had settled a bit and was entirely covered with leaves. It’s tempting to go back and put an inch or so of sand under it, but I guess it doesn’t matter. I leave no-one behind who will ever see it anyway, unless it’s at a grave-side service. I’m not pitying myself, just being realistic. The only ones that would care if I croaked would my wife, my mother, the Mighty Dachshund, and a few online friends who will never know if I croak anyway. I may well outlive the first three, so I guess I’d better be sure and make necessary arrangements before I go. I cringe to think that whichever one dies last may be one of those old folks they find in their homes who’ve been dead for a year.

The missus and I went over the river and through the woods to a Chinamart in enemy territory today. That’s about as much excitement as we can afford these anymore. When I’m in any store, I notice how many people plow out of the side aisles at 90MPH without ever looking. They wouldn’t (or at least SHOULDN’T) do that when they’re in a car, but they think nothing of doing it when their carelessness could bowl over a child or an old person. Naturally, they either have some far-away look in their eyes, or they’re looking down at their phone. I saw one fellow that I know vaguely, walking along, looking for an open register, his skin was flushed and it seemed that fear was on his face. He never saw me.

This Christmas is shaping up to be another lousy holiday. We’ve grown estranged from a few family members over the years, and those who remain seem less desirous of our company now that we’re poor. I doubt if we can afford it, but it would be nice if the missus and I could go out of town for Christmas next year; there’s nothing going on around here anyway. The older I get, the less I enjoy holidays. They remind me of what used to be, but will never be again.

Still, I have a lot of online friends that boost my spirits, and I greatly enjoy reading about the good times some of them are having. Despite not buying into the whole Christmas deal, I DO miss having a church this time of year. There’s been a lot of beautiful music written for the occasion over the centuries, and SOME people actually do manage to show a little more kindness during this season. Still, I must confess, I’m sort of looking forward to Monday. Call me “Scrooge,” or “Grinch,” if you prefer. LOL © 2016
-

5 comments:

Lady Locust said...

It's strange the feelings Christmas can stir up in one isn't it? I'm glad you have fond memories of Christmas past - I think God gives us memories to keep us company when we don't have any in the present. At this end, there are some wonderful Christmas memories (as one would think) & some terrible ones (uncle & cousin killed in car accident going home from church Christmas eve.) I just try to be thankful God sent His son for me (& you too!) That is comforting to me regardless of which kind of Christmas it is.
Wishing you and yours a very blessed one.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, LL, we DO have a better home waiting, but I'm all for finding what reasonable pleasure we can until then.

Sixbears said...

Christmas is often a very time of the year for me. My lovely wife really enjoys it so I try not to be a grump for her sake. This year it helps that I will have friends and family around. I know I am blessed.

When my lovely wife and travel through her home state we usually stop in at the graveyard where most of her family is buried. No family lives in that town anymore. My daughter stopped in last year when traveling, so that was nice of her.

I don't care what they do with my mortal remains when I'm gone as I'll be done with them.

I've a small life insurance through my credit union and my wife would get 100% of my pension, not that it's worth what it used to be. At least my kids won't be stuck with the expense of burying me, like I was for my folks. Too poor to live, too poor to die.

Well, not to get too gloomy this time of year. Stay well and take care.

Ralph Goff said...

Gorges, I guess I would miss reading your daily musings here on blogger if anything happened. I don't think I'll ever have the way with words that you do but it does at least inspire me to try a little harder. And hope your Christmas is a merry one.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Ralph. I'm sure a few folks would notice that I was gone, but there's really no way to check up on people. I hope you have a nice Christmas, too.