Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Sad Ending And A Shameful Memory

-
Well, I just finished reading Robert Louis Stevenson's "Travels With A Donkey In The Cevennes." (The Cevennes are a mountain range in south-central France.) Being a travelogue written in 1879, it qualifies both as history and geography, which I found interesting. I find it of note that the man who sold him the donkey did so with tears in his eyes, and he did the same, only a week or so later. I, too, had tears in my eyes when I traded off the horse I'd had for seven years as a teenager and young adult. It was done under cover of darkness and was a despicable thing for me to do. Just remembering that evening brings a feeling of shame that I would rather forget. Perhaps I'll elaborate someday. Just for the record, despite the memory it stirred, I enjoyed the book.
-

No comments: