Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Visit To My Other Home

-
My mailing address may be “Tick Ridge,” but I’m beginning to think that Chinamart may be my real home. If anything ever happened to the missus, I’d probably never go there again. Unfortunately, the missus finds the place entertaining, and by getting only SOME of what we need when we go there, she always has a reason to return in a day or two. I realize that I’m too poor to take her to dinner, to the movies or even for long rides anymore, so I don’t say anything to her about it. I think by always buying a few things, she feels still partly in control of our otherwise time, money and health-constrained lives. She even has people at the store that she stops and chats with every time she’s there. And so, we were there again today, except we hit the one across town this time. We try to alternate since the stores carry slightly different stuff.

We needed water today so I couldn’t avoid going in, since it’s getting harder for her to do heavy lifting. After getting the water, my next stop was at the magazine section. There, I scanned or read some articles on homesteading and preparedness. I noticed that “National Geographic” had a feature piece on the so-called “gender revolution” again this month. There were seven people shown on the cover, one normal male and six mixed perverts. No normal woman was shown; perhaps they’ve convinced themselves such women no longer exist. It amazes me just how far the magazine has fallen in my lifetime. They once were a high-class magazine that documented the fascinating world around us. Eventually, though, they became just another liberal mouthpiece, so I quit subscribing LONG ago. This second issue trying to legitimize sexual perversion (see last month’s, too, at the link) is as low as I’ve yet seen them slither. See the cover of both issues at this link: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/

I’ve watched at Chinamart the last few times to see if I could find lighter fluid, but to no avail. Most “associates” have told me that the store doesn’t carry it, ONE told me it would be up by the register, if they had it. I was beginning to believe the former. TODAY, though, they had four cans of Zippo lighter fluid sitting in the camping fuels section, even though I’ve checked there many times before. Someone must have dropped the case, since all four cans were dented, but one was barely noticeable, so I got it. It was the same price that my gas station charges, too. (Incidentally, the only stations in my area that carry American-produced gasoline are BP’s, so I usually try to get my gas there.) For those who care, Zippo lighters are still made right here in the good old US of A, at Bradford, Pennsylvania. They start at about $15, SO, if you need an honest-to-goodness cigarette lighter, instead of those Cheap Chinese Bic-style pieces of donkey dung, check out Zippo’s website: http://www.zippo.com/lighters.aspx?c=1230

Thankfully, the missus caught me trying to nap on my rider, so she decided that she was done for the day. We’re now back on Tick Ridge, snugly ensconced in our warm cabin at the forest’s edge. The mighty Dachshund was certainly happy about our return! © 2017
-

9 comments:

Vicki said...

I sometimes wonder if there is a fighting chance we will ever return to the world God intended for us. National Geographics choice of content just makes me sad.

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't think the world, as a whole, will ever improve until the Lord comes back, Vicki. As for NG, it IS sad what our society and that magazine have become.

Rozy Lass said...

Sinclair gas is all USA produced. I used to work for an affiliate of theirs.

Gorges Smythe said...

Unfortunately, RL, we don't have Sinclair in my area.

Ralph Goff said...

I guess they have to move with the times. I dropped the NG subscription quite a few years ago when they were getting a little too expensive for me. I still enjoy the old copies from my subscription days plus the really old ones I've accumulated going back to the 1920s.

Glen Filthie said...

Gorges I heard somewhere that zippos will burn a variety of fuels.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, I used to have some back into the 30's, but I had to sell them when I got hard up once, Ralph.

Joy said...

I heard about the NG cover photo also... I wonder when Chinamart will be forced to allow men in women's restrooms and women in men's. I'm boycotting TARGET, but I don't know how I'll boycott Chinamart.

Gorges Smythe said...

Joy, I haven't gone in Target ever since they quit letting the Salvation Army set up outside their door many years ago. I don't know if they ever changed their mind or not. From what the CEO said about the bathroom deal, I sort of doubt it.