Saturday, February 18, 2017

A So-So Sabbath

 -
The missus wasn’t feeling well today, so we ate lunch late and didn’t head for Chinamart until almost time for the shows to start that I like to watch on Saturday. She wanted to take the Mighty Dachshund, since she got a bad sting the other day when we left her at home. She swelled up on the chest and around her eyes and ears and threw up her lunch after a while. My wife finally gave her a Benadryl and she started slowly getting better, but she still didn’t eat for two days. She seems okay now.

Taking the pooch along meant that I couldn’t go in and get the 5” paint brush I wanted, though. She wouldn’t eat the cheeseburger we got her, so I tried combing her out some. Unfortunately, the guy who parked next to me parked on the line and I had to work in a twist to comb her there on the back seat, so I soon gave it up.
I did get started in my next “little brown book” while waiting for the missus. This one is Hawthorne’s “Grandfather’s Chair.” I don’t know what the printing date was, but it has a 1904 copyright, and was a gift from a neighbor boy to my maternal granddad’s sister as a Christmas gift in 1923. My granddad would eventually marry that boy’s sister, so I knew the guy as my great uncle. The book is basically written at a 6th to 9th grade level, so it should be just right for my underwhelming intellect. I must say that I enjoyed the first couple chapters. There’s a lot of history in it.

After getting home, I put a tarp over my sawmill frame, since rain’s a-comin’. I weighted the tarp down so it wouldn’t blow off, but the tarp covering the lawn mower had already blown off and I didn’t bother to recover it. I also poured the remaining half-gallon of used motor oil from a plastic jug into a similar amount of creosote, so I’d have something to paint on the sawmill frame. Those things were as close as I came to work this Sabbath day. Incidentally, the frame is made from some of the newer, “safer” pressure-treated wood and it’s trying to rot after only two years. Worthless crap! I may just start using oak, since it might actually last longer.

I wish I could find a reasonable Sabbath-meeting church, but the closest one I know is an hour’s drive away. I’d be all for a legitimate keeping of the Sabbath (including no cooking and no conducting business or shopping), but my wife still leans heavily toward the false doctrine begun by Pope Sylvester and Emperor Constantine in the fourth century and perpetuated by a semi-apostate church ever since. It’s nothing that will send us to hell, I believe, but I think most Christians are losing blessings by teaching that it’s okay to break one of the Ten Commandments. We don’t have good enough clothes to go anyway; God may not care, but PEOPLE DO, no matter what they say.

The missus still isn’t up to snuff tonight, but we’ll probably go back to Chinamart tomorrow and get what she didn’t have energy enough to get today. It’s raining here as I finish this, but it’s supposed to stop in the night. Maybe I can get a few more pieces of wood split tomorrow, like I did yesterday. I guess only time will tell. © 2017
-

4 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I hope the little hound starts feeling better, passing up a cheeseburger is serious stuff!
I was busy working on the hops today and missed the woodwright, I guess you missed him as well?

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, SF, she's eating okay now. We didn't get back until 4pm today. WV PBS carries Underhill at 3pm and Ohio PBS at 4pm (usually different shows), but I missed both. Oh well, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! - lol

Ralph Goff said...

Must have been a real nasty insect to give your dog such a reaction to a sting. Hope you don't get stung by the same insect. I get to experience a tv free night since my Shaw reciever quit working and I can't figure whats wrong (yet). No worries though. I've got good old AM 540 radio which is entertaining enough for me.

Gorges Smythe said...

We figure it was a wasp, Ralph, and that maybe it got her more than once. We never found it, though, which makes me wonder if she killed and ate it!