Friday, February 24, 2017

A Troubling Tuesday

-
You might say that Tuesday wasn’t a good day for us. My wife’s youngest brother came out to check out our clothes washer and dish washer (he repairs them and does HVAC work). The news wasn’t good. The clothes washer needed replaced (not that old, yet long out of warranty) and it was going to cost $100 in parts to fix the dish washer—not good for poor folks. That wasn’t the worst, though.

My wife was raised in a theoretically Christian home, but she’s the only one of five remaining kids who’s a Christian. Two are outright atheists and two are agnostics who “believe in God,” but not necessarily in Jesus. Her youngest brother was the last for which she still had any respect (for multiple reasons). Unfortunately, while he was here Tuesday, and I was outside, he unloaded on her about her religion, us being republicans (which we aren’t), us being Trump supporters (which we are, but never told him) and how global warming was going to kill us all in short order, and it was all the fault of republicans, Christians and Trump supporters. She said her once loving and caring little brother was seething with anger and hatred. She said she just tried to bite her tongue and not egg him on in any way. Needless to say, his behavior hurt her deeply and she now feels that she has no family left, except her son, who they’ve half turned against her.

Her son ended up buying us a clothes washer, despite my protests (we could have stolen the money from our vehicle repair budget). Also, a pleasant surprise concerning our utility bills will allow us to have the money to buy the parts for the dish washer, and we can probably put them on ourselves. Nothing heals a broken heart, though. I used to have a lot of respect for that brother of hers, but there’s none left now. I think he would have been okay if he’d married a decent woman, but he didn’t. She plays the part, but it’s all an act. Thankfully, the Lord is getting my wife through this painful situation. © 2017
-

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm sorry your wife had to go through that scene with her brother. I think it is a scene being played out everywhere by those who are angry that Trump won and is now doing exactly what he said he would. I am finding that people I have known all my life - good people - are now acting the same way as your brother-in-law and you can't reason with them at all. It is like trying to talk sense to a toddler who is in the middle of a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Vicki. I've decided that down deep, those "good people" AREN'T. Just fakers that had us fooled.

deborah harvey said...

so glad your boy got the clothes washer for you. it can be your Christmas/Resurrection/birthdays present!
God bless him.

just pray for your brother but don't say anything.
remember all the indoctrination in school and in the media.
steady stream of poison and half truths.
he is obviously soul sick, as so many are. it is a deadly disease of which those infected are unaware.
pray, pray, pray!

Ralph Goff said...

Its kind of amazing to me that people let politics and religion break up good family relations. I like to think that my family gets along just fine in spite of what we believe (or don't) about those subjects.

Gorges Smythe said...

I pray for her relatives and mine(and a whole lot of OTHER folks) every day, dh.

The missus was the oldest and her folks and her siblings all treated her like she was their slave, Ralph. I don't think they've ever forgiven her for getting married and having their own life.

Joy said...

Sorry this happened to your wife. She certainly showed restraint and Christian principles. Perhaps brother will simmer down a bit and apologize for family's sake. Of course, you remember me losing my friend of 53 years over the same issue.

Gorges Smythe said...

Some people have their priorities all messed up, Joy.