Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Mystery Car (pics)

-
A few months ago, I showed you folks a photo taken at "Speed Church" at Speed, West Virginia, probably in 1945. At the time, I wondered about the type of car whose nose was just showing in the photo. I believe even then, my friend "the guru" identified it properly. Recently, I found a slightly larger and clearer version of the same photo, so here it is, with comments by him on the Art Deco hood ornament. (Incidentally, the guy with the "x" on him is my great grandfather on Mom's side, and the lady with the "x" is my great grandmother.)

Click images to enlarge.

"It was a 1937 Ford with a (very rare) Art Deco hood handle available that year only (the so-called ornaments on many older cars were hood latch handles you turned) BUT with some of the front paws broken off.   After mulling it over I think it could be a 37 Ford Phaeton since they were usually the ones with the special hood handles).
"Four years ago some dude wanted 500 bucks for the one pictured and he did not even indicate it was still incomplete (glass missing). The pictures do NOT include the slide-in-from-the-bottom piece of colored or frosted glass or plastic (whatever they used then, most were glass), but the paws are intact on this one. If I remember rightly, the glass insert was available in several colors to match/contrast the color of the car itself. You can see that frosted glass in place on your car.
"The thin forepaws were often broken off with use, due to the need to twist the unit as a handle. I would think if you did not grab it exactly right you would put a lot of stress on the paw and ultimately break it.

"Also included are a couple of shots of a Phaeton."



-

3 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I think that is the last or next to last Ford with mechanical brakes. The bodies were getting a little heavy for that type of brake so a lot had the newer backing plates and hydraulic lines.

Ralph Goff said...

Nice car. I totally missed the original post though.

Gorges Smythe said...

SF, I had non-assisted brakes and steering on my old '68 International, I liked the fact that they would still work if the engine quit.

It wasn't much different than this one, Ralph, just less information.