Sunday, May 7, 2017

Playing Catch-Up

I haven’t posted an article for a few days, not that many folks probably miss it. It seems like I haven’t been able to accomplish anything lately, between the weather and things coming up. I HAVE been able to porch-sit with the pooch a few times. She always enjoys it. We were sitting there the other day as a soft rain was falling and a crash resonated through the woods before us. I glanced up in time to see a large limb fall and catch in another large limb. Looks like I have a widow-maker to watch for if I’m down that way.

The day before, I was watching a squirrel scamper through the limbs when he jumped onto a limb in the big white oak in the shop yard that serves as my “shop roof.” Both the large limb that he jumped onto and the one below it are now dead—victims of the natural pruning that’s occurring from it growing near a red oak on the lower side. At least the dead limbs are not above my work-shop/log-yard area on the upper side of the tree, but I’ll still be walking and mowing under the limbs at times. Back in the day, I’d have put the 40’ extension ladder up the tree and cut them off. I still have the ladder, but my climbing days are long gone.

I finally managed to get 14 gallons of accumulated night water distributed around some volunteer daffodils in the lawn. I’m curious to see if it causes them to bloom, as they never have before since I’ve lived here. My wife just shook her head when she saw what I was doing, as she thinks I’m perverted for not wasting the fertilizer value of it (11% nitrogen). Also, she won’t eat anything I grow, as she wrongly thinks that I water my vegetable plants with night water and that there’s still cat crap in the soil from the cats of our neighbor who died 20 years ago. She refuses to believe the truth, so I gave up trying to convince her.

My mom fell in her apartment a couple days ago and has been crippling around since. She called 911, as she couldn’t get up and they took her to the hospital and x-rayed her. She has a fractured left arm, which they don’t think will need surgery, but they want to look at it again after the swelling goes down some. They sent her home, though. My sister stayed with her the first night, and my aunt the second. Tonight, she’s decided that she’s going it alone. I think my aunt was driving her batty, so she prefers the inconvenience of doing things on her own to the emotional stress! – lol

I noticed that water keeps blowing or leaking under the tarp covering my mill frame, causing the 3x4 foot piece of plywood near the front to sag and hold water. I drilled some 3/8” holes so it would drain and left it uncovered. After it dries a day or two, I’ll creosote it and cover it back up again. It seems like there’s always a problem of SOME kind! Oh well, I guess it helps keep me humble that things don’t go TOO well. ;-)

I go to my heart doctor tomorrow for a regularly scheduled pow-wow, but I don’t expect anything to come of it. © 2017


hobo said...

Sounds like you're busy, being busy! Prayers for good news at the doctor's appointment.

Sixbears said...

I'm so far behind that some of the problems have solved themselves.

Ralph Goff said...

Gorges, I've had just the opposite here. Too busy to post anything on blogger or facebook. Its like I'm spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. Literally at times. I need a rainy day to catch up.

deborah harvey said...

daddy said his dad was killed by a widow maker. it didn't cause widowhood as dad's mom was already dead.

Caddie said...

Before I read on I have to say: I've missed you much. Now to read on

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, hobo, things turned out okay.

I've read that 90% of them do, Sixbears.

Be careful what you wish for, Ralph! - lol

They call that form a reason, dh.

Thanks, Caddie.