Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Nothing Exciting Here

-
It was awfully hot here the last week or two. Between the heat, our schedules and my low energy levels, the last jag of tacky wood from the back yard finally just got cut to length today. That was after me trying to get to it for a couple weeks. When it’s split and stacked, I’ll advertise it cheap for campfire wood, since it’s too buggy and punky for other use.

The lawn is past due for a mowing. It’s not so heavy, but the plantains have shot their heads up several inches in the air and look really ragged. Of course the neighbor is still mowing ten times to my one, but that’s HIS problem. Looking at all those plantain stalks, I remember when I was a kid and we’d fold the lower stalk over the upper and pull back until the head flew off. We thought it was neat to “shoot” one another with them.

I’m not getting any foraging done these days. I used to do a good bit when the missus was in Chinamart, but now that she needs me to get the heavy stuff, and I have to pick up Mom’s groceries as well, I just don’t have the time. The milkweed and the cattail heads both got too far along before I noticed. I need to remember to check them both the first of June and then keep watching.

A guy followed me nearly the whole way to town the other day, mostly at the speed limit, and then passed on a double yellow line with a bend coming up. The only places that I dipped below the speed limit were on some rough spots and a couple bends that are banked reverse from what they should. He flew me the bird after he passed, too, despite being more than old enough to know better. Some folks never grow up and stay trash all their lives.

Our nearest Chinamart had just closed down the other day when we arrived. It turns out they had a water main burst directly over the customer service area. I guess they ended up with four inches of water between there and the pharmacy. They opened again the following day with the cleanest floors they’d had in YEARS!

My wife got a big fern for the front porch a few weeks ago. It wasn’t real green when she got it, and she’s neglected it slightly with the water jug, so it’s not improved its appearance any. Tonight when I took the pooch out, I poured a half-gallon of well-fermented night water in the huge container in which it’s planted. I hope the breeze takes the odor away by morning or the missus will beat me about the head and shoulders if she figures things out.

Well, on second thought, there MIGHT be some excitement soon! © 2017
-

6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Hey there, off the subject, but we could have used your assistance yesterday evening. A neighbor has an "OLD" saw mill that he and Mr. LB were trying to get going. They eventually gave up without luck ~ could get the spark plugs to spark. It's a 235. That's all I know. I didn't actually stick around. Anyways, made me think of you.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It has been cool here the last couple days compared to usual anyway. I haven't cut wood but need to start dropping some trash trees so they will be dry enough to cut split and burn by winter.
Off today so I worked in the garden and can see the plants again.

Ralph Goff said...

I just can't figure some drivers. Passing you on a double line and then the offensive gesture. Totally uncalled for behavior.Seems when some people get in their vehicles they become intolerant of other human beings. They own the road. How dare anyone get in their way?

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL - I'm better at tuning the mill than the engine, LL!

Yeah, SF, it seems like there's always more work than time to do it.

Yes, Ralph, I'm seeing more of such attitudes all the time.

Harry Flashman said...

Not long ago, some guy followed me into town right on my butt. When we got to where the road narrowed, I stopped and got out to go see what his problem was, but he drove on the shoulder and went around me. His girl friend , who looked to be about 18, yelled something really vulgar at me . White Trash.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yep, there's a LOT of trash out there anymore, Harry.