Friday, July 28, 2017

I Don’t Wanna, But I Gotta

-
I just haven’t been able to get in the mood to post lately. However, I know that my millions of followers, who hang on my every word, are just DYING to know what’s new and exciting in my busy and fulfilling life. Well, here goes: I’ve been sharing some family history with a cousin. I’ve been talking some to a young farmer in Manitoba, and I’ve been sitting on the porch a little with the pooch. I even split a little wood the other day. Calm down folks; I’ll give you a few details.

I split the wood early in the week. As is usual for me these days, it took me about an-hour-and-a-half to do what would have taken a half-hour five years ago. I hoped to go back out after lunch and work another hitch, but a lack of adequate sleep the night before combined with my labor to convince me to take a nap instead. The next day, the weather was hotter and I was still tired, and since it’s rained a lot since, the rest of the wood still needs split. It’s easy to get angry or feel sorry for myself sometimes when I can’t seem to get anything done. Then I remember that 21 months ago, not only would I have been unable to do such work at all, but even had to rest a half-dozen times while showering, just to catch my breath. So, things could be worse.

The Mighty Dachshund and I have sat on the porch several times this week. A couple times it was foggy and very quiet. Another time, it had rained earlier in the day and the fog was only in the woods, not out in the lawn. The birds still sing, but not with the gusto that they had during nesting season. The little fly-catcher that always makes a mess on the porch raised TWO hatches this year. One day while we were on the porch, three bluebirds were feeding in the lawn 20 feet away. Of course they kept flying up to a limb, as if they were afraid to stay in one spot for long—a survival technique I suspect. One seemed to be a youngster and I wondered if it was the only one to survive. I tried once to keep the pooch out there with me as the tater wagon rolled noisily in the distance, but she wanted no part of it.

I don’t really know my cousin that well, but we met a few times over the years. I seemed to have a little info that she didn’t have. I believe she said that she’d just signed up with Ancestry, so maybe what I gave her will give her some leads. The young man from Manitoba emigrated there from Switzerland 20 years ago with his parents when he was ten. They have a dairy operation in their new location. I believe the drought in the northern plains is starting to affect them as it does Ralph Goff up in Saskatchewan.

The missus and I went in town for a little while today. While there, we watched a young woman cross six lanes of traffic while looking at her smart phone. She survived, miraculously enough. That reminded me of something we’d seen early in the week—a young mother of four small children, three running loose as she walked down a sidewalk next to rushing traffic, while she pushed the fourth in a stroller while texting with the thumb of her “free’ hand. Sometimes, I think smart phones were one of the most unwise things to ever be invented. Then again, I guess the real problem, isn’t smart phones but dumb people. © 2017
-

3 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Seems like smart phones and dumb people are a bad combination. Yes, still hot and dry here. No rain all July and 92 degrees today. Any hopes of a good crop are gone for this year. It will be a crop of some sort. I really should do a blog post but its late and I've got a huge day coming up tomorrow. If I survive the heat I should have some interesting video for youtube......

Marian Love Phillips said...

I'm so glad that I'm one of your million fans and love all your stories you tell. You really have a way with words and enjoy reading your blog. Keep us updated as you live your life with your missus and pooch! Take care, my friend. Marian

Gorges Smythe said...

Don't let the heat get you, Ralph; we'll be waiting for the video.

Thanks, Marian; I appreciate that.