Saturday, July 8, 2017

Little Stuff Today (except the last item)

-
When I was a kid, there was a miniature set of screwdrivers on the shelf over the cookstove in the kitchen. Why, I’m not sure, but since I started wearing glasses in grade school they came in handy many a time. Today, one lens fell out of my wife’s “kitchen glasses,” so I tightened the frames with a set of miniature drivers that I keep in my desk drawer. Then, I checked my own and found one temple looser than I expected. Another “save” for little drivers.

The big wind yesterday knocked a tree over in a cemetery across from our city park. In falling, it took down the cemetery fence and the power lines, closed the street and probably demolished some gravestones. Several other trees around town came down, too, and power still isn’t restored a couple places. We noticed that tree along the front of our property succumbed to the wind, also. The power company half-killed it a few years ago with spray and it’s never been the same since. Apparently too many roots were killed, too.

The insurance company sent me a card the other day to record the mileage on my wife’s car, in hopes that she would lose her low mileage discount. They’ll be very disappointed to learn that the care has only been driven 101 miles in the last 16 months! I LOVE IT! The greedy jerks!

I went in McDonald’s to use the restroom, before we got the three of us an ice cream cone apiece today. The whole time, some black chic was on the PA moaning, groaning and screaming. I assume someone considered it “music” to dine by.

There’s a kayaker missing from some who were swept over a local dam today. I hope it’s no-one from my daughter-in-laws group. © 2017
-

6 comments:

deborah harvey said...

i quit going to eat'n'park because of the shrieking over the loud speakers. can't hear what others at your table are saying.
went to denny's this evening and same thing, not quite as loud, until i went to the restroom. almost blasted me out of there.
if they have to have it why can't it be very quiet classical or soft instrumentals?
what passes for singing nowadays is what my dad would say about, 'sounds like someone is twisting her tail.' reference to getting cattle to move along.
9th grade science teacher, mr. harold matney, defined noise and music this way; music-a sound which falls pleasantly upon the ear.
noise -a sound which falls unpleasantly upon the ear.
lots of unpleasant sounds in restaurants these days.

Gorges Smythe said...

Mr. Matney spoke the truth, dh!

Lady Locust said...

Wow! You've had some commotion in your next of the woods. Hoping all is well with you and yours.

Gorges Smythe said...

All's fine here, LL, except when the missus and I are in mortal combat.

Joy said...

I hear ya about the music. My husband and I also commented on the horrible music the other night at a fast food place. You know, if you asked (complained) they might turn it down. I don't think they can change the music, I think corporate chooses. Or the kid behind the counter, lol.

Gorges Smythe said...

I assume they play the music the kids want, Joy.