Saturday, September 9, 2017

Nice Weather, Storm Thoughts And A Struggling Economy

-
The weather has been beautiful here the last couple weeks. We only got two days of drizzle in the Mid-Ohio Valley from Hurricane Harvey. I’ve noticed for years that whenever there’s a hurricane down south, we normally have beautiful weather here. Days have been in the 70’s and a little breezy; nights have gotten down as low as 47. We’re predicted to continue having nice weather until Tuesday, but some rain then and maybe again on Thursday. That’s okay, we can use it here, though I’d gladly send it out west to the fire zone if I could.

I love the weather, but it’s always on the back of my mind that as I enjoy the weather here, the weather down south is killing people and destroying lives and property. That certainly takes the edge off the pleasure. All we can do here, of course, is pray for those down there. Naturally, those with a few extra dollars can donate to the Salvation Army, Samaritan’s Purse, Operation Blessing or some other good cause. Just PLEASE don’t waste your money on the RED CROSS, it will do more good elsewhere!

The Mighty Dachshund and I have been getting some good porch time during this nice weather. We get the longest “sits” before dawn. There’s been a full moon this week and you really don’t need a flashlight to get around. I use one for her sake, though, since she’s down there at snake level. I just check the area and turn it off, though.

One morning as I stood beside her in the lawn, what looked like a slow-moving fireworks rocket appeared to be shooting straight up into the dark sky in the east. The “rocket” shined brighter than the morning star, although it looked smaller. It was a jet, of course, leaving its vapor trail behind it. The funny thing was that the vapor trail was glowing not from the sun just below the horizon, but from the full moon that still hung in the sky. A couple days later, I took the pooch out to be greeted by a fairly thick fog. It was only at ground level, though, and the still visible moon made the fog glow as if it was illuminated from within. I felt a little exposed in my skivvies in such light, yet the fog was dense enough that vision as far as the road was still very limited.

Daytime porch sits have been slightly breezy, but not windy. The woods are getting quieter by the day; fall is definitely on the way. Only an occasional crow, or a noisy Carolina wren or blue-jay swings near sometimes to break the silence. Clouds are many, but generally small, and the sun is no stranger. One day, I put the long leash on the pooch and let her lie in the grass, as she often likes to do, while I sat on the edge of the front porch. Even she seemed to enjoy watching the clouds roll by. Eventually, though, she wanted to go to her spot on the porch. There was a beautiful moon that evening and I tried to get a photo as it rose between the pines at the end of the driveway, but I never have any luck trying to capture the moon.

Despite having heard that West Virginia had the second fastest growing state economy last quarter (or month) things are dead around here. The streets and the mall and many other places seem nearly deserted. The restaurants, even the fast food joints, don’t have the business they once did. The friend that I call the guru recently was down-graded from full-time to part-time. His wife lost her job about a year ago. He says that they could go south and find work readily, but they hate to leave the grandkids behind.

We went to Chinamart today and bought some groceries. The paltry amount that we brought home for the money was ridiculous. The missus just got peeved at me because I have no money left for gasoline and she’s going to have to foot the bill for the ride that she wants me to take her on in a while. That’s nothing new; she hasn’t lived within my means the whole time we’ve been married. I’m not about to expect her to change in our old age! LOL

I tried watching The Woodwright Shop earlier, but I fell asleep during the first one and didn’t wake up until the second one was half over. I might actually have used the information in the first show, but I think I got still enough to put it to use anyway. I tried to nap a little longer, but the neighbor decided to do some target practice, so I got up. I would go outside and tinker, but it’s the Sabbath, so I’ll behave myself.

I’ve got five relatives and a friend in Florida, so I’ll be doing a little more praying than usual this weekend. If you happen to live down that way, I’ll be praying for you, too. Y’all stay as safe as you can, wherever you are. © 2017
-

9 comments:

Sixbears said...

We've had a lot of rain here lately, but nice warm and pleasant weather is on the way. Well,those in FL don't feel too bad when we get buried in 6 feet of snow :)

Like you, I've got people in FL who I'm worried about. Too many of them live in trailers.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It is a nice time of year other than hurricane season, the weather is more pleasant than spring though I enjoy the end of winter. I missed the woodwright as I usually do, seems I am usually away from the TV when he is on. I made a better effort at watching him back when he and I were both younger, I don't have much to build these days.

Vicki said...

I am glad when you share your porch sitting time with the Mighty Dachshund. It takes me back to a time of sitting on the porch, listening to the quiet, counting the fireflies.

Gorges, I know you believe in the power of prayer as I do. If you wouldn't mind...would you add my daughter's friend to your prayer list? She is a widow. She is in a wheelchair. She lives on the east coast of Florida. She has nowhere to go. I am on my knees with this one.

Gorges Smythe said...

Oh well, We'll pray for 'em anyway, Sixbears.

i well understand that, SF; my more obvious mortality has caused me to change my plans and priorities some.

I've already prayed for her once and will again, Vicki. I hope everyone who reads this does the same.

Janet said...

I've been thinking of you today as we pick our Appalachian greasy pole beans. I've never done it before, but I'm going to make leather britches to store them. Perhaps your family used to do this.

Gorges Smythe said...

My grandparents did when my mom was young, Janet, and my sister and her husband did one year, but I've never tried it.

Joy said...

My husband and I used to watch The Wainwright years ago. I didn't know he was still on. We were always amused at how nervous he acted, and he was using sharp tools! We expected him to surface on his next show with bandaged hands and missing digits.

Joy said...

oops, meant 'Woodwright' show.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Joy, I've seen blood on his hands more than once. My wife used to talk about that.