Monday, September 4, 2017

The Holiday And Thoughts About Being The Last Spouse

-
It was so long ago that I can barely remember, but I know that we went to the Chinamart across town yesterday. I always get my mom’s groceries over there, since we get most of our own groceries at the other store and I’d need two carts to get both. The missus always picks up a few things on Sunday that we forgot on Saturday. I also got some burlap to scour grime off a couple transitional planes that I want to refurbish and sell. I think the original owner wiped them down with crude oil on occasion and they’re rather black. I needed something to use with mineral spirits to scour them that wouldn’t be coarse enough to hurt the wood and thought of burlap. I’m hoping the stain from the grime colors the bare spots where use has worn off the original finish. I managed to get a couple nice porch sits with the Mighty Dachshund yesterday, too.

Today, we took a walk on the wild side and went to the Chinamart upriver and in enemy territory. I picked up three items that mom forgot to tell me that she needed yesterday and looked once again for her hair mousse. None of the three local Chinamarts carry mousse of any kind, so I’m wondering if it’s gone the way of the dinosaurs. I picked up the new Backwoodsman magazine while I was there. It’s the only magazine that I buy anymore, as it’s the only one that has more than one article a month that interests me. At the prices they charge for “mags” anymore, most just aren’t worth it to me.

On the way home, we noticed that the air conditioner was dying, so I recharged it before we went out this evening to take Mom her stuff. I got in one round of porch-sitting with the pooch this morning and it was blowing pretty stiffly, so it’s probably “puckering up to rain,” as the old man who used to live across the road would phrase it.

After the delivery, we cruised downtown and around a couple old neighborhoods that were nice in our youth, but are slums now. People have no pride anymore. It’s one thing to not be able to afford paint, or to let the yard get ahead of you, but there’s no excuse for trash and junk piling up in the yard or on the front porch.

We didn’t hear from any relatives this weekend. We’re too religious, too politically conservative, too boring or too poor to interest them anymore, depending on which one we’re speaking of at the time. Years ago, the missus didn’t call her closest relative for ages, just to see how long it took the relative to call her. She gave up after FIVE months and called the relative. He wondered why she hadn’t called earlier. I guess phone lines, like highways, only work in one direction.

Whenever my wife or I croak, no-one will ever know when the second one passes. It’ll be one of those deals where the meter reader calls the cops because the grass isn’t mowed and he/she smells the odor of rotting flesh. If it’s me that’s left, I might set up a daily call with another old geezer, so we can keep track of one another. Family is where you find it these days. © 2017
-

6 comments:

deborah harvey said...

good to have the calling daily system.
good to have several people and call in a round.
when one misses, the others send someone to check.
it might only be that forgetfulness has taken over and it is time for one of the participants to go to the 'home', so it is helpful for more than just death.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I do most of my porch sitting just before bedtime, it is starting to get cool now so it is time to start putting on an old shirt over top. We are in the flyway of the planes from Charlotte and Roanoke and these make a whistling sound which sets off the coyotes howling at night so I listen to hear where they are located. They tend to stay around the most isolated area between 3 farms.
I managed to stay away from walmart this holiday though the wife and daughter went there for some reason.

Glen Filthie said...

Your family might be a little bigger than what you think it is, Gorges. Lot of us care about you and yours and you brighten our days without even knowing it. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Good ideas, dh!

lol - Lucky you, SF!

I truly appreciate, that Glen, but you folks can't call the ambulance, or the hearse.

Lady Locust said...

I agree with Glen! Also, I used to have an elderly friend who I told "I like to check up on you to make sure you're staying out of jail." She said, "I appreciate that. You know how bad this place would smell if we died? They'd never sell the house." She too had more people who cared than what she thought 😉

Gorges Smythe said...

At least she was being pragmatic, LL! - LOL