Thursday, April 22, 2021

Heckuva Day!


I was extra tired last night, so instead of staying up until midnight and making today’s meme post, I went to bed after taking the dog out at 11. (I did check with the missus and see if she needed any help walking to the bathroom.) Unfortunately, I woke up at 12 and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I sorted through a couple plastic jars of small gun parts in my bedroom and put the antique and muzzleloader parts in one jar and filled the other with modern parts. By that time, it was 1AM and I was sleepy again. As I sat on the edge of the bed, I heard the rattle of the the wheeled walker of the missus as she went to the bathroom. I immediately asked the Lord to keep her safe, but, in mid sentence, I heard a bang and what sounded like her hitting the bathroom door or the cabinets. A minute later she started howling, so I hobbled downstairs.

Try as we could, even the two of us working together couldn’t get her off the floor. I pulled my usual trick of getting her flaming mad so she’d get up just to prove that she could, but, for the first time, it didn’t work. By 3AM, she’d decided that she’d sleep on the floor and hope for more strength in the morning. I decided otherwise and called 911 (unknown to her, as she’d raised hell if she knew). I asked them not to use lights or sirens, since it wasn’t a life-threatening situation and I didn’t want to wake all the neighbors for two miles. They obliged and were there in 30 minutes. They had her up in a few minutes and were gone by 4AM. I stayed up with her until 6AM, made sure that she didn’t need anything, including a trip to the bathroom, then went back to bed, hoping she’d be okay until 10AM or so.

Low and behold, at 8AM, I heard her “chariot” crossing the bathroom thresh-hold, but heard it return to the back room a few minutes later. When I got up at 10AM, I heard her calling for help from the living room as I came down the stairs. Expecting the worst, I found her lying on the sofa, desperate for a bottle of water. It turned out that she’d been unable to get back into bed at 8AM and had been sleeping on the sofa. After a few minutes,I helped her to the bathroom and then back into her bed. An hour later, she wanted to go to town and get something for us and the dog, so we did. She did well considering her soreness and weakness.

This evening, I got an email from my cousin, who lives in Mom’s building, telling me that she’d fallen today and had to go to the emergency room for a while. They sent her home after wrapping her broken right wrist. I called my mom’s and talked to her and my cousin for a few minutes. What a day! Copyright 4/22/2021



Mamahen said...

Oh my! Praying things are brighter tomorrow, and that you can both get some rest tonight.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh!

Leigh said...

Oh gosh, not a good day at all. I hope you got caught up on your rest last night and that things are better today.

Gorges Smythe said...

I did catch up somewhat, Leigh. Thanks.